[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

I don't understand relativity

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 10
Thread images: 1

File: index.jpg (158KB, 1093x702px) Image search: [Google]
index.jpg
158KB, 1093x702px
and I guess I never will.

>I understand Planck's Constant
Its why it takes a radio transmission 40 seconds to reach earth from the moon
>I understand nuclear fission
heat and pressure cause atoms to split and release energy
>I understand gravity
the more mass an object has, the greater its attraction to other objects
>I understand nuclear fusion
a stars gravity converts hydrogen into helium, producing energy

But for the life of me, I just don't understand time.

To me, time moves in one direction, forward, and it moves at the same pace no matter where you are. I don't understand how time can move faster in one place than it does in another, or move faster or slower relative to the observer.

It just doesn't make any sense to me.
>>
>>8512865
Radio transmissions are delayed due to the finite speed of light, not Planck's constant.
Heat and pressure do not cause nuclear fission, being hit by neutrons does.
>>
Imagine you have two clocks that measure time using photons. They stand upright and the photons move on the y-axis and get reflected by mirrors. Every time a photon hits a mirror the time count of the clock that registrated it goes up by one. The numbers of photons and the lspeed of light are always the same. Now one clock remains where it is and the other one moves by the distance x while its photons (photons b) move by the distance y on the y-axis. The photons b now have moved by sqrt(x^2 + y^2). If time went by the same pace everywhere this wouldn´t be possible because the speed of light is ALWAYS the same (if it stays in the same medium). It means there are two initial systems with different time (S(steady) and S'(moving)). The time diletation would be t= t' / sqrt(1-v^2/c^2)
>>
>>8512865
>I don't understand relativity

What's to understand? It's bullshit.

The only reason anyone "Agrees" with relativity is to keep their job.
>>
>>8512865
>and it moves at the same pace no matter where you are. I don't understand how time can move faster in one place than it does in another, or move faster or slower relative to the observer.
Just imagine that every object moves through spacetime with a constant speed; c. When at rest in the spacial dimensions this means all of that motion is through time, and when moving through the spacial dimensions in any direction at speed c your movement in the time dimension is zero. Light is an object of the latter kind, humans are basically of the former kind.
>>
>>8512865
>>I understand Planck's Constant
no you don't.
>>I understand nuclear fission
no you don't.
>>I understand gravity
not you don't.
>>I understand nuclear fusion
no you don't.

die you shitty pop-sci retard.
>>
>>8512865
First you have to understand that time is secondary to motion, that motion precedes and gives rise to time
>>
>>8512865
An intuition for time?

Time is a human convention, intuiting it is easier with frequency. Its like the universe's local clock speed, is continuous but more easily imagined discretized, each cycle bringing forth a new set of events. The higher the energy density in a region, (i'e mass), the more the strain there is for the ticks to do what they need to do, the slower they run. Time gets stretched.

That's how I like to think of it .. Some mild autism.
>>
>>8512865
Bate rate - 8/10
>>
>>8512865
You don't need to, or at least on the level you desire to understand it...

Time is a human construct, as well as nearly all the things we observe. General relativity is the result of a very smart man with too much time on his hands.
Thread posts: 10
Thread images: 1

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.