[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Darwin's Finches

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 10
Thread images: 1

Are these creatures conclusive evidence for the theory of evolution (be it natural selection or otherwise)?
>>
Still nobody can explain to me how cuckoo brood parasitism evolved.

Once you have done that then you have proved evolution once and for all
>>
>>8512044
Can they mate with each other?
There is no proof that an offspring could not mate with it's ancestors or "cousins" in fact I can mate with any female human that is not sterile. (We're assuming that the human is not too old or too young for reproduction.)
>>
>>8512050
How could you not explain it? Mutationsort are the driver of evolution and mutations are random. With that in mind, what is the problem with this form of parasitic relationship ?
>>
>>8512044
The finches arent proof of evolution at all, they are proof of influence of natural selection on extant variability

Its genomic studies that proved evolution
>>
>>8512080
The eggs look almost identical and the chicks can (from birth) mimick the calls of the young of the specific bird they are cucking. (Also the chick+original mother try to destroy he other eggs, so the chick isnt copying anything in some cases but can still mimic the call)

Am i supposed to beleive randomly some birds egg looked like another and then a billion years later we have multiple kind of cuckoo that imitate totally different birds?
>>
>>8512084
This. Darwin could only take in and recognize the process, he and no one else knew by what or how it was being mediated. The discovery of DNA as the hereditary molecule is what cemented the theory
>>
>>8512095
>Am i supposed to beleive randomly some birds egg looked like another and then a billion years later we have multiple kind of cuckoo that imitate totally different birds?
I'm still a little confused by what you are getting at. First, let me get the parasite aspect first: some birds trick other birds to raise their young, correct? If so, I still don't understand. A bird starts leaving it's egg in other birds' nests, as a result it gains an reproduction advantage by not keeping all its eggs in one metaphorical basket. That trait gets selected for and flourishes. You also get selection of the progeny of this trait to mimic it's new parents. That pretty easy enough as the majority of animal calls are learned, not instinctively breed note for note in the genome
>>
>>8512050
>cuckoo parasitsm
>the phenomenon that is fundamental for the earliest models of coevolution
>contrary to evolutionary theory

Pick 1
>>
What I never understood (and to my knowledge it's an unsolved problem) is how chromosomal numbers changed throughout evolution. So when two species diverged from another at some point one branch just decided to have 29 instead of 28 chromosomes or whatever. To my understanding breeding between those branches is impossible, so how did they survive?
Thread posts: 10
Thread images: 1

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.