[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Flute Acoustics

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 6
Thread images: 2

File: sopranorecorder1gc.gif (10KB, 400x231px) Image search: [Google]
sopranorecorder1gc.gif
10KB, 400x231px
I'm designing a recorder and trying to figure out why they have a fingerhole for the octave above the fundamental in addition to a register hole when the two should be in the same place for a simplified theoretical flute. Force the chamber to have a node in the middle, doubling whatever frequency, the fundamental or otherwise. My research gives me the impression that the tone hole is at the true half wavelength, but the register hole is slightly past it, having the effect of slightly distorting the center of the waveform on that side. I cant figure any reason for this to be desirable though, nor if it is important to the function of the flute - ie whether unifying the octave and register hole at half the fundamental length would screw up the fork fingerings essential to playing accidentals and higher registers.

Anyone familiar with the acoustics or design to help me figure it out?
>>
Maybe it's done to make it harder to overblow the recorder?

I've never played the flute, but I did play the recorder as a kid and I don't remember being able to produce the first overtone on it without adjusting the fingering, unlike all the other wind instruments.
>>
>>8510097
>the tone hole is at the true half wavelength, but the register hole is slightly past it

help me follow what you're talking about, I play a bit but the specifics...
is the tone hole on the back and you cover it with your thumb?
is the register covered by the index finger?
>>
>>8510185
Other way. Tone hole closest to the mouthpiece plays the Do above the fundamental (all holes closed). The register hole allows access to higher octaves beyond that Do (though fork fingerings seemt o call for the use of the register hole for that Do which confuses me a little.)
>>
File: recorderFingerChart.jpg (122KB, 949x640px) Image search: [Google]
recorderFingerChart.jpg
122KB, 949x640px
>>8510189
on the one I own the hole covered by the thumb is closest to the mouthpiece.
>>
>>8510204
I said "tone hole closest." The thumb is the register hole. Have you paid any attention other than memorizing the chart?
Thread posts: 6
Thread images: 2

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.