[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Do people see colors in different ways?

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 37
Thread images: 2

File: image.jpg (39KB, 640x519px) Image search: [Google]
image.jpg
39KB, 640x519px
I have been wondering for many many years, how would we know how others see the same colors, we teach that the color they see is a specific color, so they will always see it that way, but what if they see something like green as purple? We could never prove or disprove this in any way, as we cannot see exactly what other people see, and even if we did we might still see it the same as it could be a difference in the eyes.
>>
all eyes are made about the same, so i think people see about the same color
>>
>>8508143
Okay I see that now, but what if every brain percieves colors in a different way?
>>
>>8508150
fuck i dont know honestly
>>
>muh cualia
>>
>>8508150
That could be the case, but the part of our brain that processes sight is very "old/primal" so it doesn't change very much between humans. Therefor it is more propable that we all see/interpret colors the same way.
>>
I don't think so, since certain colors have certain effects on people. You know how red light helps people sleep? If they saw that red light as, say, green or blue, then there would be a noticeable variation in people.

But that's just my opinion
>>
>>8508236
you cannot know nothing
>>
It would mean nothing, in my opinion. But it's an interesting subject to ponder.
>>
light is rgb, but the brain does not detect rgb saturation it looks for intervalls and contrast

i think colorblinds have that fucked up and misinterpret certain color compositions

because honestly ive never heard of colorblinds who enter room lit by a certain wavelength but appears dark to them and im pretty sure it has been tried
>>
>>8508137
Different cultures label colors in different ways.
Language informs our perception.
>>
>>8508613

yesh but thats not "green as purple" different.
>>
>>8508613

You've just inspired another idea in me though, well done.

here, take another ((you))
>>
I used to wonder this too. And I also wondered what "color" some animals see UV or anything else outside visible light.

It's kind of a confusing idea, but ultimately I believe color is a matter of fact, at least here on Earth. It's reflected light that can be assigned a color based on wavelength. I think.
>>
>>8508593
Colorblind people are physically different in that their eyes have less columns to perceive colors, sometimes just enough to miss one color, sometimes nearly monochrome (like everything would look greenish).

This is why a small percentage of the population perceives something like 4 times as much colors than the rest. They have an extra one of those color detection things.

Source: look for it Im too lazy
>>
HURRR DUR R COLR DOESNT EXISTS YOU CANT PROVE IT!!!1111oneoneone
>>
>>8508137
>Do people see colors in different ways?

Yes, some people are colorblind.

And some people are regular-blind.
>>
holy shit, watching STEM-lords discover philosophy is hilarious
>>
You piece it together as neural networks form making the bigger picture of associations.
>>
>>8508137

Qualia isn't really, only behavior. Whatever behavior you engage in when in the presence of different wavelengths of light is your personal sense of color. Some people behave differently to the same wavelengths of light e.g. one person might have different cutoffs for what counts as what they call "blue."
>>
>>8508137
We probably do since colorblindness is a thing, but if we all agree that a certain wavelength is a specified color, it doesn't matter how all of our brains perceive that color. What matters is if our brains interpretations of those wavelengths as electrical impulses don't get jumbled up or misinterpreted inside our heads (colorblindness).
>>
>>8508137
I always wondered this too. Like what if how I see colors looks really fuckig weird to everyone else.
>>
Actually, we know that everyone sees the same color due to the fact that every color gives a specific frequency or wavelength once it has been reflected back towards eyes.
>>
>>8509900
My sweet summer child...
>>
>>8509597
Holy shit, watching a philosotard comparing philosophy to shitposting is hilarious.
>>
It's about patterns. You get 100 different objects and you ask people to categorize them. If the way they categorize things matches yours then you know they see the same thing you do. It's about differentiation and categorization.
>>
Yo OP, not sure if you've watched this yet. If you haven't and you pondered that on your own, props for being able to extend your thoughts. Also surprised no one has replied about this.. /watch?v=evQsOFQju08
>>
>>8508137
http://www.popsci.com/article/science/woman-sees-100-times-more-colors-average-person . A female artist is proven to be able to see millions more combinations of colotrs than the average human, chooses to paint with finger-paints.
>>
>>8510159
>TRIGGERED
>>
>>8508137
You could theoretically apply this to everything, not just color. You could apply it to every single sense. What if in the mind of someone else the way they perceive sight and sound are completley switched, and what you think of as a really ugly painting that's unpleasant to look at, they think of as nails on a chalk board? Perhaps one person's perception of the smell of wet garbage is another person's perception of the feeling of getting whacked in the balls with a two-by-four.

You would never know. It's entirely possible that these things are hard-coded and that we all share the same perception in our own minds, but it's also entirely possible that the way we process this information differs from individual to individual and everything we know from a synesthesia standpoint is just an abstract construct of our minds trying to make sense of all the various signals we're receiving from our sensory organs.

It's entirely possible, though unfortunately we have no way to really test for this sort of thing and I doubt we ever really will. Ultimately it's kind of one of those pointless bits of speculation that will never amount to anything. Just acknowledge the possibility and move on with your life.
>>
>>8510173
you're entirely missing the point. what if they see all the colors differently but in a way such that they still categorize the items the same way? your test tells us nothing with respect to the question.
>>
Favorite colors? If we can find a way to determine whether or not favorite color is genetic or not, we can determine if really a lot of humans favor the same color, but are just taught to call it different because that color is triggered by different wavelengths
>>
>>8511465
That is interesting indeed.
However, in the end it all turns out that we still can recognize the same color. Meaning that her reality is still objective because we both call the color blue as blue. How both perceive the color does not matter since we both can agree that the color blue is the color we see.

For example people that are color blind are those who can still teach themselves to recognize red and orange. They do not see the huge contrast that we do however they can still see a difference.

So when you tell a person that the balloon is red, the colorblind will eventually learn what the color red stands for. Therefore when you give a colorblind and orange balloon he will recognize it and we both can agree that the balloon is orange.

In other words, it does not matter how we perceive it (the greeks were onto this), what matters is that we both can see the differences/contrast no matter how we perceive it.
>>
File: Untitled.png (7KB, 760x726px) Image search: [Google]
Untitled.png
7KB, 760x726px
Here's a simple proof that we see colours in roughly the same way.

Consider the colours yellow, cyan, and magenta.
All of these can be created by combining 2 of the 3 colours we can see, so one would expect that they should be equally difficult to see against white as they are equally far off of white.

However, if you had to rank those colours in order of difficulty of seeing against white, it would be
>yellow
>cyan
>magenta
right?

That suggests we see them the same since we have the same difficulty ranking for these colours.

Although, maybe it's because of our cone cells rather than our mind.
If we said that out of the primary optical colors green was hardest to see against white, and blue is easiest, then that means that if you ranked the secondary colours based on that you'd get the same order as before.
And I think it would be accurate to say that blue is easiest to see against white and green is the hardest.
The question is though, is there something to do with our cone cells that makes blue seem dark and green seem light, or is it just how we see colours?
>>
>>8509935
Kek right
>>
>>8508593
>light is rgb, but the brain does not detect rgb saturation it looks for intervalls and contrast
no... lol
>>
>>8508143
>all eyes are made about the same way
not all eyes, of course there are people with color blindness and some who have a fourth type of cone cells, also the concentration of cones and rods varies genetically but not by much except for the extreme cases, but other than that we see about the same colors.
tl;dr people see colors differently but not by much
Thread posts: 37
Thread images: 2

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.