[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Gabriel can fuck himself in the ass with his own horn

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 7
Thread images: 1

File: GabrielHorn.png (94KB, 1920x560px) Image search: [Google]
GabrielHorn.png
94KB, 1920x560px
gabriel's horn is a solid of revolution with infinite surface area but finite volume

supposedly the converse, a solid of revolution with finite surface area but infinite volume, is impossible

i'm going to disprove this

consider the region of space outside a sphere

its surface area is finite because it's simply the area of the sphere, because the sphere is its only surface

its volume is trivially infinite, because n-space is infinite for all n > 0 and the volume enclosed by a sphere is finite

it's a solid of revolution, you get it by taking the region of 2-space outside a circle and revolving it about the circle's diameter

it's therefore a solid of revolution with finite surface area and infinite volume

problem calculusfags? u jelly gabriel?
>>
Why do you gotta post this at 1 am, my brain hasn't woke up. I wish we disn't need sleep.
>>
>>8508111
>supposedly the converse, a solid of revolution with finite surface area but infinite volume, is impossible

Imagine an infinite cube with a finite unit cube missing. The surface area is 6
>>
This is sort of right. You've just defined the surface area of the sphere as a plane with two arbitrary sides so that you can deny one is "inside" and one is "outside". But then any arbitrary enclosed area can be said to "contain" infinite volume.
>>
>>8508117
that's basically the whole point of this thread

gg
>>
>>8508120
Yeah but he didn't go on and on about it like op did.
>>
By that logic, 3-space itself is a solid of revolution -- of 2-space about any line within it -- and said solid of revolution has a surface area of 0, because it has no surface at all.

The only exception would be if we were working in a geometry defined by a one point compactification of the reals. If there's a point at infinity, then it makes sense to say 3-space is in fact bound by at least one surface, at the same distance from the origin as the point at infinity is from 0. Its surface area is then necessarily infinite.

UNLESS!!

Wait a minute. The one point compactification of the reals is called ONE point for a REASON. If our geometry is based thusly, then infinity is THE SAME POINT along all three axes, and negative infinity along each of them is ALSO that same point. So the surface of 3-space isn't an infinite 2-manifold. It's a point.

Therefore, its surface area is 0 either way.
Thread posts: 7
Thread images: 1

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.