[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Why is human cloning so taboo among scientists?

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 19
Thread images: 2

File: science.jpg (129KB, 876x560px) Image search: [Google]
science.jpg
129KB, 876x560px
Why is human cloning so taboo among scientists?
>>
>>8507986
Because of people who think ethics mean shit.
>>
>>8507994
Why would people see this as unethical?
>>
>>8508000
"Humans are sacred" type bullshit.
>>
>>8508007
20 bucks says your experienced in sperm donation
>>
>>8507986
The artificial tracheas didn't do so well...
>>
>>8508000
because cloning is a stalking horse for germ line modification, which is 100% guaranteed to end humanity for better or worse
>>
>>8507986
>Why is human cloning so taboo among scientists?
Aside from resistance from religious fundamentalists (mostly a problem in the US) there's a fear that if we were able to make clones they would inevitably end up as a servitor race to "real" non-cloned humans, which would be very unethical.
>>
>>8507986
Once people are able to clone themselves, they will lose all desire to have genetically distinct offspring—why risk playing the genetic lottery when you have a working copy. The family unit completely falls apart. Clones, later, might be created with modifications. Rich will be able to extend their lives through organ harvesting and blood transfusions. If these things become possible, [math]a\ man\ is\ an\ island[/math] and participation in society loses all meaning.
>>
>>8508013
Nah, I don't donate sperm. Where's my fucking money?
>>
>>8508018
Fair enough, but I get the feeling that anyone who's stupid enough to enslave clones like that would end up on the wrong end of a rebellion sooner or later.
>>
>>8508024
There's only been one or two successful slave revolts in human history so far, so they don't have the greatest track record.

Also, clones could be created to be weaker/stupider than normal humans (a la Brave New World) or conditioned in some way to guarantee subservience.

What >>8508020 said is more likely to be a problem than clone slavery, however.
>>
>>8508030
Good point. Time to get philosophical.
Wouldn't the creation of such modified clones essentially be equivalent to breeding a new race of working animals? Would there be a point where they are no longer even human? Why would a creature specifically engineered for performing (possibly even enjoying) labour be "less moral" to enslave than a working animal?

... I better stop. This is making me sound like some sort of PETA jackass.
>>
>>8508039
>Would there be a point where they are no longer even human? Why would a creature specifically engineered for performing (possibly even enjoying) labour be "less moral" to enslave than a working animal?
There would, and it wouldn't. The problem is how can you tell when human stock is so debased that it stops being human? We used to treat certain races as subhuman, but learned better. Wouldn't you be afraid the same thing could happen with clone laborers?
>>
>>8508039
If you haven't read "The Mote In God's Eye", then you should. A lot of ideas about hyper-specilisation and castes is discussed in it.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_Mote_in_God's_Eye
>>
>>8507986
I intend to clone myself after I finally am financially secure enough to raise a kid.
>>
File: it's happening.jpg (124KB, 995x845px) Image search: [Google]
it's happening.jpg
124KB, 995x845px
>>8507986
The fact that animal cloning is extremely primitive and prone to lots of strange deformities plays a part in making human trials unethical, but I'm sure there's labs around the world which engage in human cloning. Almost certain it occurs in China.
>>
>>8507986
FFS, how much longer until I can grow a new foreskin?

Swear they've been saying '10 years' for the last 10 years
>>
>>8507986
>>8507994
Due to the unforeseen consequences of our flawed society. Think about it. The guy with enough money and the scientist with enough expertise and lack of morals can create a even bigger gap between individuals than there already exists. Those modified due to eugenics, "perfect" ones, and those born naturally, with no modifications, flawed, imperfect. And that's just scratching the surface.

There's a few movies that have at its core this theme. And before you come to me blasting shit about how it's just a movie, in my experience, humanity has always managed to greatly surpass in reality what is portrayed in fiction.

Also,

>ethics mean shit
Go fuck yourself with a cactus.
Thread posts: 19
Thread images: 2

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.