[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

The human body uses food as an energy source, in the form of

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 10
Thread images: 1

File: 1475788930304.jpg (70KB, 540x540px) Image search: [Google]
1475788930304.jpg
70KB, 540x540px
The human body uses food as an energy source, in the form of sugars and stuff.

Will it ever be possible to replace the human digestive system with electricity as a power-generating system? Energy is energy, after all.
>>
>>8507630
Not unless you completely replace all human biological machinery to run off of electricity

Energy is not energy. Sugar is broken down in order to provide the energy to produce ATP. Pretty much everything your body actively does uses ATP as to power it, and it works by chemically reacting with whatever needs it

Only your nervous system is based on electricity and even then its controlled by ATP dependant gates
>>
>>8507640

could we use electricity to provide the energy to create ATP then?

What other requirements does ATP production have?
>>
>>8507630
>Will it ever be possible to replace the human digestive system with electricity as a power-generating system?

No, because the body needs actual matter in the food to function and rebuild itself. You are what you eat.

Energy alone is not enough.
>>
>>8507645
>part of your left arm is composed of a piece of chicken that you ate 15 years ago
Really makes a person think
>>
>>8507644
Possibly, i'm not sure. Would be worth looking into actually

Also as another anon has pointed out its just not energy we get from chemical food, its the actual physical matter as well
>>
Have you EVER looked into how ATP and other energy sources of biochemical functions are made? We're run on Phosphorylation/Dephosphorylation as well as Redox reactions. Really fucking hard to do with just electrons
>>
>>8507630
>Will it ever be possible to replace the human digestive system with electricity as a power-generating system? Energy is energy, after all.

Theoretically, yes.

The sugar/oxide reaction merely energizes an electron transport chain to reconnect ADP into ATP.

You would still need to eat for replacement parts though (proteins, vitamins and stuff)
>>
>>8507644

I'm not well versed in physics so I don't know how much my comment will help your understanding.

ATP production relies mainly on a proton gradient in order to produce ATP... and the electron transport chain proteins inside of the inner membrane of the mitochondria. So in a sense it already"runs on electricity". On top on that, the efficiency of ATP production relative to how much energy it takes in and gives out is very high. I don't remember the number exactly but I think it was somewhere around 2/3 efficiency.

So unless you can come up with a better, more efficient molecular machinery than this, then there would be no point to redo it all. But if you can, the answer is yes, since it relies on "electricity" anyway.

If you want to learn more, look up the ATP synthase and mitochondrial electron transport chain.

>Inb4 biofag
>>
>>8508723

this is a really highquality post, thank you :-)
Thread posts: 10
Thread images: 1

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.