[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Was he a Meme scientist? If so, was he as bad as NDT?

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 14
Thread images: 3

File: carl_sagan[1].jpg (64KB, 646x536px) Image search: [Google]
carl_sagan[1].jpg
64KB, 646x536px
Was he a Meme scientist?

If so, was he as bad as NDT?
>>
>If so, was he as bad as NDT?
I'm watching the new cosmos right now and loving it. Whats the beef with NDT?
>>
Any "scientist" who regularly makes it to the media is a meme.

Do you hear of Galois, Maxwell and Ramanujan every day on your Reddit-tier hipster popsci tumblr blogs?

Has there been a week in your life where you haven't been reminded of the existence of retards such as black science man, le mechanical engineer specialized in climatology and evolution, le pedo atheist, Dr. Wheelchair and le galaxy buddy?
>>
>>8505505
The Main beef that people have with him is that he keeps talking about other fields of science that he's not qualified in, check his Twitter as an example.

Sagan did the same thing with Climate Change I believe and his hypothesis turned out to be wrong. Other than that, I don't think he made any other assertions.
>>
>>8505514
Galois and Ramanujan are pretty memey people to talk about alright.
>>
His pale blue dot speech was misunderstood to be a statement on the size of the cosmos when it was really about the arbitrary nature of what's important and meaningful and what isn't.
>>
File: Neil DeGrasse Tyson le Pluto man.jpg (214KB, 994x1024px) Image search: [Google]
Neil DeGrasse Tyson le Pluto man.jpg
214KB, 994x1024px
>>8505503
Very memey

>>8505505
>Whats the beef with NDT?
See >>8505514 >>8505515 and pic related

>I'm really fucking up right now
>>
No

He sure is a hard science man tho
>>
>>8505503
>Was he a Meme scientist?
Yes, but that's not inherently a bad thing. The world needs the occasional Meme scientists to inspire people.

>If so, was he as bad as NDT?
No, Sagan was actually a scientist. He did science. His actual scientific work wasn't particularly important or very groundbreaking in the scheme of things. His work promoting science far outshines figuring out the surface temperature of Venus or working as a consultant on a few NASA missions, but the fact remains that he has scientific achievements to his name.
Tyson on the other hand has done jack shit The most science he has done was a brief amount of time spent looking at supernovas while working on his PhD. Nowdays all he does is post popsci memes on twitter about fields he is completely unqualified in and charges people 50k + to grace them with his presence.
>>
File: 1470524378158.jpg (25KB, 433x380px) Image search: [Google]
1470524378158.jpg
25KB, 433x380px
>>8505514
>le mechanical engineer specialized in climatology and evolution
>>
>>8505607
Bill Nye I would guess but who is le galaxy buddy?
>>
>>8505607
Bill Nye the Science guy. The reason that he is a science guy is because he's secretly a mechanical engineer. I'd disagree with him being on the same level as Tyson. His TV show was god tier. It's the rare VHS tape that can get a kid more interested in science than an actual teacher. His only real failing is that like Tyson he sometimes like to spout popsci memes about topics he knows nothing about. He's nowhere near as bad as Tyson though. He does tend to be sensationalist about global warming, but unlike Tyson he'll actually try and backup his arguments and promote discussion instead of just memeing. Personally I think he needs to go back and do more children's television. I consider his TV work to be far more important than his current memeing.

One last thing, unlike Tyson, Bill Nye has never tried to pass himself off as an actual scientist.
>>
>>8505684
Sagan?

Also, first time posting on this board [math]\chi^2[/math]
>>
He wanted to spread his love of science to laymen, children and everyone in between. He's the only pop scientist who felt sincere, like he really cared about what he was talking about.

Say what you want about pop sci, but Sagan saw an opportunity to really try and help people see the beauty in the universe.
Thread posts: 14
Thread images: 3

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.