[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Euclid's Elements

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 10
Thread images: 1

File: Euclid's Elements.jpg (785KB, 641x967px) Image search: [Google]
Euclid's Elements.jpg
785KB, 641x967px
Who studies this? Is reading it only for the hard core autists (mathematicians) or are engineers and their ilk expected to know it as well?
>>
Geometers and broader mathematicians
>>
>>8505384
Axiomatic geometry is only needed for pure mathematicians. Everyone else will be fine with watered down analytic geometry.
>>
>>8505384

People who study the history of math and science since everything pre-18th century is based heavily on it.
>>
Is this book an adequate replacement for High School geometry? I heard there were some errors of logic in it.
>>
>>8505418
>errors of logic
>in Elements

who the fuck do you think you are you hyperbolic little shit did you just try to imply that euclid was not literally perfect in every fucking way you stupid brainlet don't ever ever ever talk about euclid like that again get the fuck out of my board
>>
>>8505418
>High School geometry?
Isn't high school geometry just coordinate garbage? Because there's none of that in The Elements.
>>
>>8505423
https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Pasch's_axiom
>>
>>8505423
When we studied Euclidean geometry for my first and second semester and pure math the professor was always pointing out how he did not agree with certain definitions and how he was not convinced by some proofs, sometimes telling us to "believe the book if you want" and sometimes going as far as to define the terms himself and prove theorems his own way.

So Euclid is not perfect but who am I to tell. I didn't read the book, I had an old guy read it to me.
>>
>>8505427

High school geometry done right introduces the concept of a proof as an argument; a sequence of steps, with each step having a perfectly clear justification, terminating with what was to be demonstrated.

Other concepts include ways of causing plane figures to coincide/be shown to be congruent, being those used regularly by M.C. Escher in his plane-tiling art: translation, rotation, and mirroring/glide reflexion. Dilation can be added to this. Cases of triangle congruence can be taught as primitives, which are then used as the vaild justifications for proofs of triangle congruence, as a case of the above. The special situations of the 30-60-90 triagle and the right isosceles triangle anticipate trigonometry, which may be rolled into geometry itself depending on the locale.
Thread posts: 10
Thread images: 1

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.