[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Is it time to seriously leave planet Earth?

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 21
Thread images: 6

File: PaleBlueDot.jpg (156KB, 391x521px) Image search: [Google]
PaleBlueDot.jpg
156KB, 391x521px
>The next 20 years will add great deal for scientists and inventors to make this happen.

I'm tired of living on Earth /sci/

Thought?
>>
Definitely don't want to live on this planet anymore. Have been sick of this place for quite some time.
>>
>>8505006
You and me aren't going anywhere.
20 years isn't a realist time frame under any conditions.
Seriously, even if we get singularity tomorrow, the luxury of space tourism bullshit is way down on the list of priorities.
>>
No. Unless we discover a way to quickly transport ourselves across solar systems with habitable, Earth-like planets with earth-like atmospheres, we are stuck on Earth. Even if we did discover new planets like Earth, they would likely have life on them, and who the fuck knows what would happen when you encounter all these alien viruses / bacteria and whatnot, it would be far worse than what happened to the natives in the Americas after Europeans came over.

No other planet in our solar system is capable of supporting human life long term. Not a single one, not even Mars. I'm not saying that humans can't set up a colony on Mars, we can, but Mars will never have a magnetic field, and while thickening its atmosphere may be possible, it will degrade over time without the magnetic field protecting it from solar radiation. There's also the lower gravity on Mars that humans will have to adapt to, and will cause major health problems among the population in the long term. Combine this with the need to live either underground, or in climate controlled, radiation shielded habitats until you find a way to create a livable atmosphere (while still having to have personnel radiation protection even if there was one) and you have a situation which is not sustainable in the long term. Maybe it would help humans survive off Earth for a few generations until some extinction level event on Earth blows over.

The best bet is to improve Earth. It's the only planet that we can easily improve, and we can improve it if humans actually worked together globally to accomplish its goals. The problem is there's too damn many people, and they all want an American standard of living, and won't stop polluting / utilizing finite resources until they get there too.

We need a global pandemic to lower the population to a sustainable level.
>>
File: JREiTunesImage2.jpg (393KB, 1400x1400px) Image search: [Google]
JREiTunesImage2.jpg
393KB, 1400x1400px
>>8505019
>>8505026
I sadly agree anons
>>
>>8505019
>>8505026
>>8505186
guys, wouldn't it be easier to try to enjoy living on this planet rather than trying to leave?
>>
File: Laughing-Villains.jpg (28KB, 500x360px) Image search: [Google]
Laughing-Villains.jpg
28KB, 500x360px
>>8505204
So cute
>>
>>8505186
>>8505006
>>8505019
If you are a sad sack of shit here on earth, you'll stay a sad sack of shit wherever you go.
>>
File: large.jpg (35KB, 500x333px) Image search: [Google]
large.jpg
35KB, 500x333px
>>8505213
My decision is made already mr doctor
>>
>>8505213
Would be nice to live on a planet that didn't have four billion noggers on it
>>
File: image.jpg (147KB, 1024x768px) Image search: [Google]
image.jpg
147KB, 1024x768px
>>8505205
A man who choses a new planet over protecting his home deserves neither.
>>
>>8505264
I guess that's the difference between an ideologue and a pragmatist. I don't deserve to be subjected to death wishes from people ideological savages who rape kids. Do they understand or ponder the benefits of space travel?
>>
File: where do you think we are.png (1MB, 1174x794px) Image search: [Google]
where do you think we are.png
1MB, 1174x794px
>>8505464
Earth is the only planet known so far to harbor life. There is nowhere else, at least in the near future, to which our species could migrate. Visit? Yes. Settle? Not yet. Like it or not, for the moment the Earth is where we make our stand.
>>
>>8505067
You're so high on memes you've stopped actually noting the human ability to innovate.
>>
>>8505986
We have the technology needed to settle, no one with serious funding (like a nation state) is willing to give the time (decades for our solar system and longer for external) to actually attempt either. What the fail to recognise? Sending humans off-world is the only means of ACTUALLY assuring that humanity will not simply go extinct on Earth and never extend our longevity further. It's like science has stopped trying to be science (that is to discover and innovate) and has simply become that autistic hermit too afraid to actually stretch his legs.
>>
Why don't we have both Earth and X-Planet? I don't mind living on both or one, so long as I live.
>>
>>8505006

Literal designer babbies are more feasible than living autonomously on other planets.
>>
>>8505019
You autistic faggots. You hate society for whatever fucked up upbringing of yours. Travel the fucking world. Explore nature, culture, etc. Then you'll see the love for the pale blue dot Sagan had.
>>
>>8506033
>Already have technology to live in such environments.
>Doesn't yet have the technology to 'build' a human genome from ground up.
>DUH DESIGER BABYS R MOAR PAWSABLE BECOZ I DUH SEY SO! >;'^D
Yeah, no, sorry, Pablo.
>>
>>8506038

>Already have technology to live in such environments.

No we don't, because we don't have the technology necessary to create energy from scratch you moron.

>Doesn't yet have the technology to 'build' a human genome from ground up.

Why would you do something as clinically retarded as that when you can just edit existing genomes?

Tell me how you can get even 10 people to live on mars for just 2 years without accepting shipments of supplies from earth.
>>
>>8506047
>We don't have the technology necessary to create energy from scratch you moron.
Photovoltaics and nuclear power using pre-existing nuclear materials found within the composition of Mars.

>Why would you do something as clinically retarded as that when you can just edit existing genomes?
That isn't a designer baby, that's just genetic engineering.

>How you can get even 10 people to live on mars for just 2 years without accepting shipments of supplies from earth?
What is hydroponics?
Thread posts: 21
Thread images: 6

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.