[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

extra-terrestrial life

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 8
Thread images: 1

Hey /sci/

I'm not a science fag, but I was thinking the other day. Since we have discovered most the naturally occurring elements, wouldn't other advanced life look like us, or at least similar?

Assuming there is only carbon-based life, how could life advance to the point we have reached without relatively resembling us in some fashion?

Also drunk as shit right now, but thought this made sense.
>>
All life on EARTH doesn't even "look like us". An octopus doesn't look like us, and they're pretty surprisingly intelligent. A bird doesn't look like us, but some of them are pretty damn smart.

If any body shape or morphology appears on Earth, as long as it's physically large enough, there's no reason it couldn't end up as smart as a human if it somehow had selective pressure to become smarter. If advanced alien civilizations existed, they could very reasonably be squid things, or plants, or slugs, or a superorganism like a manofwar.
>>
>>8503551
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Hypothetical_types_of_biochemistry

TL;DR: Maybe, maybe not.

/thread
>>
>>8503558

Could they though? Could squids build skyscrapers, do abstract maths etc etc.

Hard to say I guess Idfk
>>
>>8503551
the answer is yes because of dna

let me explain
we are here talking because of dna-thats clear
why it is the same on every planet
let me explain dna
the small-middle and large canadian wolves have different numbers of dna-the thing is that the middle wolves can have kids with the small and the large wolves even if the numbers of chromosones are different-but the small and the large canadian wolves cannot make kids
the point is that dna is a plan that always work on every planet the same
second part of the explain is simulatary
that means having 2 eyes is a good idea because u can loose one
having 2 arms is a god idea-but u can only concentreated on one arme because u have only one brain
having 2 brains is a bad idea on every planet

now the last part of explain why they look like us
and that is gravitation
on a low gravity planet they are smaller and with huge gravity larger
most planets 70% are lower so they are 50cm or 2 feet high
and 10% are higher gravity so they are 3meters are 8 feet
the rest 20% look like us but they speak english-maybe german like me

are u happy now
>>
>>8503562
>>8503587
>TL;DR: Maybe, maybe not.
>>
>>8503551
More than likely, any reasonably intelligent and advanced life would probably look like us.

My reason is, either we are special or we aren't. If we aren't special, then what we look like is common and then anything that looked like us would have the biological tools (like thumbs, good eyes, mouths, etc) for advancement and such.

If we are special, then it probably takes something like us to git gud, so any species we see thats intelligent would probably look like us.

Anyway I imagine it's probably a combination of both. We have a lot of benefits that allowed us to get this good. That's not even counting chemical stuff like being carbon based.
>>
>>8503603
yes but we are not special we are normal

the special will eat us-thats bad but that is normal for them like for us it normal to everything without humas or poison

why we are normal is because living on an iron ball flying around a open fusion fireball is normal and flying around a black hole is normal

only special dont do and they eat things like us
Thread posts: 8
Thread images: 1

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.