[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Absorbing information more effeciently?

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 9
Thread images: 1

File: index.jpg (12KB, 316x159px) Image search: [Google]
index.jpg
12KB, 316x159px
Hey /sci/, I was going to post this in /adv/ or /g/, but I figured that you guys would probably know more about this topic and provide better answers than any of the people in the other two boards.

I am a very weird reader. I'm also kind of a slow one. When I read something online, I can skim through it and absorb shit easily, but when I sit down to read a book or a tech document, I read much slower and it's more difficult for me to absorb the information. It's almost like I treat reading completely differently in these two different scenarios.

My question is: How can I more efficiently absorb information while reading in general? Why can I read bullshit things so easily but when it comes to wanting to read something serious, I have to struggle with it?
>>
>>8503124
bump
>>
Stop reading and switch to audiobooks
>>
>>8503381
Most audiobooks I find have the following problems:
1: The person reading them sounds like a fucking robot.
2: The person reads slower than I do.
3: The microphone is shit.
>>
>a chain is only as strong as its weakest link

Apply that here, and consider you may be overestimating your reading level in comparing scientific text to articles designed for the layman.
>>
>>8503456
It's not just scientific text though, I have the same exact problem with books. I can skim read tons of shit on 4chan and easily grasp things, but I somehow treat reading fiction differently.
>>
>>8503124

Read with a goal in mind or just practice parsing. Try "thinking" like a robot. Also pick up a book on how to read. It cover reading techniques like when skimming gives you an advantage, comparative reading one of my favorite methods.
>>
Honestly I think the reason you read differently in those two contexts is that the stuff you read online is rarely dense. Look at all the bullshit works I threw into the first sentence. "Honestly" "I think" etc. You're reading faster online because there's just less information.

Also, fiction is frequently written with an internal monologue in mind - the author writes in such a way that he/she affects the cadence and rhythm of words as you read them.

Plus there's the fact that you care much less about browsing a particular thread vs a tech doc or a book. Here, you can always go back to the catalog and look for another thread. The alternative is a commitment
>>
>>8503462
It's because you actually have to sit down and read the same thing for a long period of time and interpret what is coming into your head.

It's not a satisfying dopamine rush reading through a whole thread of posts. Actual books and papers are harder because the rewards are harder to get to.

"Reading through shit on 4chan" is easy and doesn't really need your brain.
Thread posts: 9
Thread images: 1

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.