[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

2 and a bit dimensions

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 7
Thread images: 1

File: 1472892584562.jpg (4KB, 126x97px) Image search: [Google]
1472892584562.jpg
4KB, 126x97px
So I've got some game engine programming experience, and there's not a massive difference between 2 and 3 dimensions; if I want to go from 2D to 3D, I just have to give objects some more transformation info, increase the size of the transformation matrix, and then do the hardest part of programming a camera.

What I'm now wondering though is if there's anything inbetween: I've heard of objects with fractal dimensions, but is there enough knowledge on fractal dimensions to visualise space itself with them?
>>
Dimensions in the context of fractals is defined as "pattern replication". That is not the same as what you're saying (extending dimensions in directions orthogonal to the previous dimensions).
>>
>>8500884
you are naive. wait until you get to mouse picking and collision before you say 3d is just as easy as 2d.
and you are lucky the opengl guys already figured out projection matrices for us because that shit is fucking magic
>>
>>8500988
I think fractal dimensions deserve a more in-depth analysis.
The fractal dimension does seem to justify the shape: a flat fractal will typically have between one and two dimensions, and 3D ones will typicall have between two and three.
There are 3D ones with less than two dimensions, but they seem to be very skinny; and if one thinks of dimensions as "how many directions you can move in" it makes sense that a skinny 3D fractal could have a dimensionality below 3.

And if fractal dimensions seem justified in their values, perhaps we don't have a proper way of understanding non-integer dimensions.

With calculating non-integer dimensions, it's based on the number of copies of an object needed for one a certain number of times the size, but I'd be interested in an answer to a question like "With a square-cube thing of 2.5 dimensions, how many copies would be needed to double the size and how would they be arranged"?
>>
>>8501357
Keep in mind I was just saying this for OP to understand the implicit assumption he was making in his choice of word. Of course fractal dimensionality is not as simple as self-replication, but I have a hard time imagining implementing a new "direction" with fractals on computer graphics. What you're saying is still interesting, of course, but not necessarily what OP was looking for, I think.
>>
>>8502017
It's still potentially applicable to computer graphics, there just needs to be more rigid maths surrounding non-integer dimensions.
It's possible to calculate the non-integer dimension of something, but it's not possible to do anything from a starting point of a specific non-integer dimension.
For example, there's squares and cubes and stuff for every integer dimension, but what is the 2.5 dimensional equivalent of a cube?
Until we can answer questions about specific non-integer dimensions rather than just say what the non-integer dimension of something is, it seems nonsensical to say anything about their applicability to an area.
>>
>>8501145
Projection matrices are ezpz. Now hidden line detection and culling ARE actual magic.
Thread posts: 7
Thread images: 1

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.