[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

MICROHYDRO GENERAL:

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 19
Thread images: 3

File: micro_hydro.jpg (90KB, 600x450px) Image search: [Google]
micro_hydro.jpg
90KB, 600x450px
ITT we discuss whether Micro Hydro power generation is worthwhile and also just everything we know about microhydro in general (good books, etc.)
>>
File: Hey Paul.jpg (36KB, 400x300px) Image search: [Google]
Hey Paul.jpg
36KB, 400x300px
Wow! got quints.

Thats my best get ever.
>>
hint: hydrology matters

west of the mississippi there aren't really any rivers near urban areas, and the ones that do exist already have dams and are public property where this sort of activity is banned

this is why solar panels took off instead
>>
>>8500066
What's stopping you from installing them under drains and gutters (I realize this would generate less than regular constant flow of river)
>>
File: 1479628098599.png (3MB, 1090x1074px) Image search: [Google]
1479628098599.png
3MB, 1090x1074px
>>8499999
fuckin ey
>>
>>8500078
The generator and installation would probably cost more than the power it would generate in its lifetime.
>>
>>8500078

First of all your Terms of Service with your water district prevents you from modifying their equipment. This is why you also have to use their meters and not your own or an offbrand one.

Secondly, those drains are property of the water district and entering or tampering with them is illegal.

Thirdly, modifying storm drains or washes is illegal without a permit. This is because rural people do it all the time and the end result is flooding (or worse) during rain season.

Yes it's just a pipe but (a) it still has an affect that the water district isn't planning on and (b) if everyone did it then there'd be problems. Power companies already have issues dealing with home solar, consider that many water pipes and drains are 50+ years old.
>>
>>8500152
>Secondly, those drains are property of the water district and entering or tampering with them is illegal.

In what fucked up country do you live? All the plumbing is usually property of the house owner.
Depending on what exactly you change, your installation will need a new inspection.

So yea, you can generate power from water discharge... Except for>>8500088
But you can't be sure without testing.
>>
>>8499999
No, unless you won the fucking lottery and live near one of the few places micro hydro makes sense
>>
>>8500177

>All the plumbing is usually property of the house owner.

For starters "drains and gutters" in English typically reference the street drains and gutters, which can't be tampered with (at least not legally). Obviously it's possible to do whatever you want with water discharge from your roof but outside the rain season you're not getting any power.

Though, technically it would be plausible to install a power tap off the pipe that connects to the main but that requires permits before digging starts.
>>
>>8500242
>For starters "drains and gutters" in English typically reference the street drains and gutters
I have never heard anyone refer to those as that. Everyone calls them street drains/sewer drains
>>
>>8500242
Negative on being able to do anything with the water discharge from your roof. Many jurisdictions have regulations on what you cannot do and use fines and the court to back them up.
I've read of homeowners losing in court to the city because they were collecting runoff water that "interfered" with the flow of water to the water treatment plants.
>>
>>8500152
>1. muh red tape
>2. muh red tape
>3. muh red tape

Do you really have no substantial objections to the idea? Laws aren't set in stone.
>>
>>8500324
>>8500177
>In what fucked up country do you live?
>>
Can someone explain further?
I understand that you could use a small stream or waterfall to harness some power but not everyone has access to those.

How does this work in an urban situation?
>>
>>8500475
United States of America.
Check the regs where you live, you will be surprised. Just because you don't know a particular regulation applies to you doesn't mean is doesn't exist.
I know jack all of which government body(ies) make the regulations being discussed but there are a shit ton of possible candidates. I'd place my money on water districts but I see a lot of info being passed down by the municipal water unit without reference to the local water district.
>>
>>8500000
>>8499999
>>
>>8500329

laws are set in stone when you have to buy rights to access or use public water
>>
>https://www.youtube.com/user/MrHydrohead/videos

this guys set up is as good as it gets for a single family home application. he only get ~3kw though.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-R8_wKBXIGc
Thread posts: 19
Thread images: 3

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.