[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Who here /lab technician/? Share your feelings and experiences

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 25
Thread images: 3

File: lab-tech-300x199.jpg (20KB, 300x199px) Image search: [Google]
lab-tech-300x199.jpg
20KB, 300x199px
Who here /lab technician/?

Share your feelings and experiences with scientists.

Mine: scientists shouldn't be allowed in the lab
>>
>>8498053
What type of education does a technician need?
>>
>>8498133
About the same as the scientist, although bachelors degree is enough.

Lab technicial here, me and most of my collegues are just sort of scientists in training.
>>
>>8498140
>scientists in training.
are you pursuing a masters or phd in the future?

>>8498053
>scientists shouldn't be allowed in the lab
why?
>>
>>8498148
Both, one after another. Thankfully, master's dissertation can be used as a part of phd dissertation.
>>
>>8498153

How much do you earn?And do you expect to earn more in the future with your current training by simly acumulating experience?

idk if experience and simple courses are worth something in this sector or not.
>>
>>8498156
Frankly I my wage is small and I never expect it be anything else. I'm a Russian, sciensce doesn't pay here.
>>
>>8498160

Oh well, we don't choose where we are born bro...
>>
>>8498166
Indeed. At least we occasionaly get some fancy toys to play with, eh?
>>
>>8498053

Quality Assurance Lab Technician

Jesus christ. I'm going to get my masters eventually and I never want to go the imitation side of business ever again. I miss the research I did in uni and I want to go back.
>>
>>8498148
> why
They don't know how to fucking behave in the lab. Very messy and ignorant of hazardous chemical use

I'm a lab tech, but I want to study more and maybe get in research.
>>
>>8498316
I'm in my second year, so enlighten me a tad, what is a lab technician exactly? is it a someone within life sciences who does a bsc and just finds a job as a technician?
>>
>>8498701
Personally im doing what is called an AP Degree, in Denmark. It exists a figure called laboratory technician in Europe that is just a person with broad basic knowledge of chemistry and biotechnology and helps the scientists by performing methods and protocols for experiments.
>>
>>8498053
I'm going to have to respectfully disagree. Principal investigators should do at least some semi-regular bench work because they need reminders of what is feasible. Otherwise they'll start asking you to culture 60 cell lines in sextuplicate and isolate RNA from all of them over the weekend because they've forgotten how time-consuming or difficult certain tasks are.
>>
>>8498701
Lab techs often have a master's degree as well. Often they will be in charge of ordering supplies and keeping things in stock as well, basically functioning as a manager.
>>
>>8498701
its the bitch work o the sciences. they are underpaid and in an over-saturated job market. do grad school or stay stuck in technician hell.
>>
File: 1441946084055.png (195KB, 510x346px) Image search: [Google]
1441946084055.png
195KB, 510x346px
I'm several months out of college and making decent money as a QA Tech. I'm terrified of just continuing down this path and never landing my dream job in forensics, but I had a shit GPA (3.2) due to being kinda stupid and I doubt I could get into grad school. I got published as a co-author on 2 research papers but they were on shit no one cares about, so I doubt it'll get me into a grad school.

Anyone make it out of technician hell successfully? Any tips?
>>
File: pic.jpg (299KB, 625x833px) Image search: [Google]
pic.jpg
299KB, 625x833px
How can I become a lab technician?
>>
What's like being $50k in debt and making barely above minimum wage?
>>
OP here.
Honestly I don't know about America, but here in northern Europe being a lab technician is not bad at all. At least in research. You take more than minimum wage and the job is not that hard. If course I guess on who's your boss.
>>
>>8499028
is it like a biomedicinsk analytiker? (sweden here)
>>
Are techs basically assistants?
>>
>>8499982
Yeah, they are also called technical assistant I think.
>>8499935
They are called Laborant in Germany and in Denmark
>>
Training to be a medical lab tech here. In just the first semester, half of the class has failed any sort of examination we've had. If last year's numbers are right, this program has a 75% drop rate.

>>8499982
In my program there's a distinction between technologist and assistant. Assistants basically do all the grunt work like prepping tests and collecting patient samples, where technologists actually carry out the tests and flag anything that looks abnormal. I was never really into research in my undergrad so i'm fine with a job like this. Plus healthcare jobs in my country are generally well paid so I'll be able to live comfortably.

Assistants are paid barely over minimum wage but also require only one year of training. The job is secure as fuck though.
>>
>>8500069
Can I ask you which country are you anon?
Thread posts: 25
Thread images: 3

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.