[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

PhD pure math fall 2017

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 6
Thread images: 2

File: 1479678026848.jpg (329KB, 1600x1400px) Image search: [Google]
1479678026848.jpg
329KB, 1600x1400px
Today the results of the GRE subject in mathematics have been revealed. I scored lower than expected, namely, 800 (80 percentile). Are here any grad students in pure math that can tell me if I will be filtered out with such a score? I wanted to apply for pure math PhD (algebraic topology) to MIT, UCLA, Berkeley (and some other schools, but I'm mostly concerned with these three). Besides that score I have a rather solid application: 2 strong LORs with professors I did research with, and 1 good I guess (I did only 2 classes and a seminar with that professor, got nice grades, but still it is not that much to write in LOR), published a paper and writing down results from my research project that, as I've been said, are publishable. Could the PhD students in pure math here post their stats, when they were applying, and the universities that accepted/rejected them? Thank boyz, stay frosty.
>>
>>8496633
I'm and undergrad as well. Only got 60th percentile. I asked the head of admissions at my school and he said what schools value depends completely on the school. He said he personally thinks the test is worthless and doesn't consider it (my uni is top 30).
>>
>>8496633
Yeah, the average at Princeton is 800 on that test. I don't think they care too much. Research is more important
>>
>>8496633

Ask /r/math.
But I would not hold my breath.

But larger departments like Berkeley always admit students with less than ideal applications.
>>
File: 1471459901634.jpg (74KB, 500x334px) Image search: [Google]
1471459901634.jpg
74KB, 500x334px
>>8496927
Don't worry buddy. It was a horrible test. I skipped like 6-10 questions, since I ran out of the time because of some of the computations - I spent literally 10 minutes on some multivariable integral and my answer turned out to be none of the 5 proposed ones. I doubt if there were even any tricks involved - just straight changes of variables for a few times. Either you won't make a mistake during all the computations or die. Fortunately for me there was a plenty of algebra questions that were like 5-seconders. 67 questions for 3hours, that is a ridiculous way of testing students' abilities to do well in a grad school in such a field like mathematics, where you are spending months on thinking how to make a single step in a proof.
>>
shameless bump
Thread posts: 6
Thread images: 2

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.