[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Statistics vs. Mathematics

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 20
Thread images: 6

File: 6.jpg (62KB, 471x302px) Image search: [Google]
6.jpg
62KB, 471x302px
statistics vs. pure mathematics as a degree/university topic of study
>>
>>8493680
statistics is math you massive faggot
>>
File: statmeem.jpg (83KB, 500x500px) Image search: [Google]
statmeem.jpg
83KB, 500x500px
would you rather be a wizard of numbers and data-addict and be able to predict the future

or

would you rather study the purest form of numbers, pure mathematics, so you can prove your intelligence
>>
File: 1384365515861.jpg (85KB, 400x468px) Image search: [Google]
1384365515861.jpg
85KB, 400x468px
statistics is a meme

machine learning is a meme

data science is a meme
>>
>>8493683
why is it a meme

at least it's useful on earth and you can die knowing you've contributed something unlike the purest mathematics, where you won't use most of what you learn after school
>>
>>8493680
if you're a statistician you can probably find patterns within the system and world we live in and exploit them,

Studying pure math, I feel like I can't do much other than sit back and watch the pattern, I can't apply this, it's too pure for this world
>>
>>8493686
>>8493691
for the vast majority of work you will only need the material learned in a basic course similar to what mechanical civil engineers take
i have never seen a ral world problem in prob/stats that an ME could not solve
MINITAB and maybe MATLAB will be all you need
>>
>>8493693
>i have never seen a real world problem in prob/stats that an ME could not solve
Optimal trading on a stock market
>>
>>8493693
Well I've never met an engineer who wasn't a total brainlet
>>
>>8493721
Well, I'm an engineer and I bet your cum tastes horrible.
>>
>>8493680
why not both desu? If you're majoring in math, pick up a stats textbook.

Even elementary topics like probability and chi-squared tests would be useful to know, and it's not like stats is hard to learn.
>>
File: babeblonde.jpg (65KB, 629x540px) Image search: [Google]
babeblonde.jpg
65KB, 629x540px
Actual Stats Masters student here. I do math 4-6 hours a day. Code for another 2 on average.

>>8493693
U may be mentally retarded. The amount of people who misuse this shit is unreal. If you don't thoroughly understand the underlying mathematical assumptions your models are useless and only result in psychological bias by the user in the form of over estimation of confidence.
>>
>>8494369
Me on the left
>>
>>8493680
I'm pretty sure all math and related math majors are pretty usefu anyway

Since a Pure Math Major can become both a Stat and AppMath but (apparenly) it cannot be vice versa
If /sci/ was truly smart, he would minor in CS or Finance in order to get a nice job and don't die from hunger since the other related math majors can get a job easy as fuck

But anyway, don't start a fight again
>>
Oh and who's more pure?

Pure mathematics career from Bachelor's of Science to PhD or you're waifu?
Real question here
>>
File: tumblr_nxggo7thiv1sdc4cvo1_400.png (28KB, 322x213px) Image search: [Google]
tumblr_nxggo7thiv1sdc4cvo1_400.png
28KB, 322x213px
>>8493682
That is the laziest comic I've ever seen
>>
File: 1475021464709s.jpg (10KB, 205x249px) Image search: [Google]
1475021464709s.jpg
10KB, 205x249px
>>8493682
>predict the future
>>
>>8493683
>Everything is a mee-mee because of nihilism, amiriteguys?! :^D :P XD
No, you fucking cunt, it all serves a purpose; just because you're too dense to understand the purpose doesn't mean it doesn't serve a function. :3
>>
>>8494606
Are you alright m8? That post clearly wasn't serious.
>>
>>8493681
first post best post
Thread posts: 20
Thread images: 6

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.