[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

why do dense things sink more?

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 27
Thread images: 2

File: surface tension wasp.jpg (15KB, 223x226px) Image search: [Google]
surface tension wasp.jpg
15KB, 223x226px
why do dense things sink more?
>>
File: IMG_4566.jpg (505KB, 424x550px) Image search: [Google]
IMG_4566.jpg
505KB, 424x550px
The same way magnets work.
>>
>>8491897
Gravity
>>
>>8491902
how do magnets work?
>>
>>8491903
that doesnt explain the reason why dense things sink and less dense things don't
>>
>>8491897

i want to know how the behaviour of the particles in something dense make it sink vs a non-dense thing
>>
>>8491897
Gravity has a stronger force on denser objects.
>>
>>8491897
More mass -> More weight.
Less volumne -> Less surface for pressure to act upwards.
>>
>>8491960
but why?
>>
>>8491965
surely it cant be to do with weight though or ships wouldnt float.
>>
>>8491958
Say you have an object with volume V, and we place it in water. The bouyant force the object will recieve, is directly proportional on how much mass of water the object pushes away, namely the volume V times the water's density.
If the gravitational force acting ont the object is smaller than the bouyant force, it floats. If they are equal - it's remains stationary. Similarily, if the bouyant force is lesser than the force of gravity, it sinks.

This is pretty basic classic mechanics. Please correct me if I am wrong somewhere.
>>
>>8491993

ah i seeee
>>
The way I like to think about it is in terms of energy. Things in nature tend toward lower energy states, the system will have less total potential energy if the denser objects are on bottom because that would place more of the mass nearer the source of gravity.
>>
>>8491957
f=ma
>>
>>8491970 see >>8491993
>>
A basketball can push past a group of tennis balls far more easily than tennis balls can push past basketballs.
>>
>>8491993
Why doesn't the atmosphere work according to this? How can a mix of ~80% nitrogen and ~20% oxygen happen when they weigh different amounts and don't react with each other?
>>
>>8492101
I'm gonna go with "gravity is pretty fucking weak".
>>
>>8491897
Buoyancy my nigga.
>>
>>8492116
If gravity is so weak then why is it the main driver for the thermohaline conveyor belt?
>>
>>8492086
>>8492080

guys gtfo of this thread.
>>
>>8491970
Ships float because they have air in them
>>
>>8492125
Snide remarks aside, I'm really clueless about chemistry which I suppose is where the answer lies. I have no idea why some things mix and some don't.
>>
>>8491902
Thats totally true
>>
>>8492357

people really should stop answering old posts which have since been resolved.
>>
>>8492101

They have a similar specific gravity.

There are other gasses that have different specific gravities that either sink below or float above a layer of oxygen, like carbon monoxide.
>>
>>8491968
Force is proportional to mass, with is apparent from F=ma where m is mass and a is acceleration. Furthermore, Density is proportional to mass (vice-versa), as D=m/V where D is density, m is mass, and V is volume.
Re-write F=ma as F=DVa, and let Va be a constant. Therefore F is directly proportional to D. Btw you must be 18+ to post here
Thread posts: 27
Thread images: 2

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.