[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Hey /sci/ does anyone have a good intuition what differential

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 7
Thread images: 1

File: ga46mywne4zx.jpg (31KB, 371x395px) Image search: [Google]
ga46mywne4zx.jpg
31KB, 371x395px
Hey /sci/ does anyone have a good intuition what differential forms are? I know how they are defined but I don't find its definition very illuminating. Inb4 it's the only thing that can be integrated over. That's not particularly helpful either
>>
>>8491786

" muh intuition"

It's just PDE, [math] df = xdy + ydx [/math] or smt like that. If you do not get the definition, make some exercices.
>>
>>8491786
The differential form of a function is kinda like the rate at which said function varies. At least, that's how I 'intuitively' think of it. Just keep in mind that this is rather vague and the actual definition is how you should look at it.
>>
>>8491786
Draw a picture. The definitions describe the geometry. Don't start with definitions unless you know what they look like.
>>
>>8491786
Well a differential form is a map that associates to each point on a manifold a k-linear alternating form on the tangent space.
So first, we need to think about alternating multilinear forms. A great example of such a form on a vector space V of dimension n, with a basis [math]B[/math], is the determinant [math]\det_B[/math], which associates to n vectors the oriented volume (relative to B) of the parallelotope generated by those vectors.
Now, of course, it is not so easy to understand k-linear alternating forms on a vector space of dimension n for k < n and what they measure.
The point I want to make is that they still measure "the" k-volume of a k-parallelotope, only that because k < n, there are many (independent) ways to do it.
What I mean is that the volume of a parallelotope generated by k vectors [math]u_1, \dots, u_k[/math] should be thought of as the wedge product [math]u_1 \wedge \dots \wedge u_k[/math] (which, as you notice, is intrinsic) and that each linear form [math]\phi \in \left(\Lambda^k V\right)^*[/math] is a way of measuring volumes (it's a way of interpreting the property that k-linear alternating maps factor through the k-th exterior power)
When n = k, there is only one such way to measuring, up to a constant scaling factor (corresponding to a choice of orientation and units, it's the example of the determinant with respect to a basis that we discussed above), but when k < n, there are several: For example, if you choose a basis [math]v_1, \dots v_n[/math], you can define such a measure as the volume of the projection onto [math]\langle v_{i_1}, \dots, v_{i_k} \rangle[/math] along [math]\langle v_j, j \not \in \{i_1,\dots i_k\}\rangle[/math] for each i1 < ... < ik.
Now finally, what is a differential k-form ? It's a way to coherently assign a weighted volume to each tangent k-parallelotope (that tangent parallelotope represents an "infinitesimal element of k-volume").
>>
>>8491786
A differential k-form on a manifold X is a smooth section of the kth exterior power of the cotangent bundle of X.
>>
http://www.dummies.com/education/math/calculus/how-to-analyze-position-velocity-and-acceleration-with-differentiation/
Thread posts: 7
Thread images: 1

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.