[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Complex Numbers and Polynomials Problems

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 12
Thread images: 1

File: mandelbrot-set.jpg (9KB, 300x225px) Image search: [Google]
mandelbrot-set.jpg
9KB, 300x225px
Hey /sci/, I have a test on complex numbers and polynomials tomorrow for my foundations class and I was wondering if anyone here has some good problems that are at the level of a freshman.

For a quick background of what I know:

Regarding complex numbers we constructed them by defining a different addition and multiplication on R^2, we proved they were a field, saw polar coordinates, proved and used de Moivre's formula, found roots of complex functions and did complex inequalities.

Regarding polynomials we saw all the elementary algorithms (those that are easy enough for monkey brains to compute) to find roots, did some theorems on divisibility, found GCDs, and defined addition and multiplication of polynomials to prove they form a ring.

I am having a hard time finding problems about polynomials and complex numbers that are not at the high school level (as unfortunately little kids also study these subjects so it is not as easy to find good problems). It even enrages me when I read a good title on google, click the link, and it takes me to fucking brainletacademy.

Just post some good questions for a university freshman and I will answer them in the thread if I can or admit that I am a brainlet when I can't.
>>
>>8488950
Bump, just post anything about complex numbers or polynomials. Just phrase it like a question.
>>
>>8488950
>complex inequalities

complex number can't have an ordering
>>
>>8488994
I know, we proved that aswell.

I meant stuff like lz - il < 1, involving the absolute value of complex numbers.

Please bring me problems man, I am starving. http://www.wtamu.edu/academic/anns/mps/math/mathlab/int_algebra/int_alg_tut25_poly.htm

Look at that shit. That is a university website and they ask problems like "what is the degree of this polynomial". I do not have an algebra book man, I need practice problems.
>>
x^7=1
α ∉ R (alpha is a complex root of the equation)

Let θ = α + α^2 + α^4
Φ = α^3 + α^5 + α^6

Prove that Φ + θ = -1 and Φθ = 2

sorry I dont know what application people use to write the math symbols on /sci/ some1 please tell me
>>
>>8489034
Latex.
>>
>>8488950
>complex numbers and polynomials

Classes like that fell out of favor in the early 20th century. Most of those topics have been scattered among complex variable, number theory, and modern algebra books/classes.

Some of the chapters in this book deal with complex numbers at a similar level so try some of the exercises:
http://www.knowledge-dojo.com/papers/1930%20Advanced%20Trigonometry%20-%20Durell%20&%20Robson.pdf
>>
>>8489034
Okay, I managed to figure out the first one.

First compute the polar form the "general" form of a and the notice that because the magnitude of a is 1, the magnitudes of all those powers of a is one.

Furthermore, by demoivres theorem we find that actually a^2. a^3, a^4, a^5 and a^6 are also roots of x^7. They are, actually, 6 distinct roots of x^7 = 1. And they are all complex.

Then we see that Φ + θ is the sum of 6 out of the 7 7-roots of 1. The only that is missing is the only real root of the equation, which is 1.

By another theorem, we know that the sum of every nth root of 1 equals 0 so we set

Φ + θ + 1 = 0 and then
Φ + θ = -1 follows directly from this.

Really interesting problem. Is there another way to address this problem? I think that by applying this last theorem I may be pretending the problem is easier than it really is. But I guess figuring out that I have to apply it is enough of a job.

I'll start working on the other proposition.
>>
>>8489108
>>8489034

Okay, I got the second.

First, multiply all of that to get:
a^4 + a^6 + a^7 + a^5 + a^7 + a^8 + a^7 + a^9 + a^10

Then first remember that a^7 = 1
Then remember that a^8 = a, a^9 = a^2 and a^10 = a^7

So then the expression becomes

a^4 + a^6 + 1 + a^5 + 1 + a + 1 + a^2 + a ^3 =
a + a^2 + a^3 + a^4 + a^5 + a^6 + 3

But then we remember that this is actually equal to

Φ + θ + 3 =
-1 + 3 = 2

ez pz my man. Nice problem.
>>
>>8489054
>Classes like that fell out of favor in the early 20th century. Most of those topics have been scattered among complex variable, number theory, and modern algebra books/classes.

I know. I don't have a class called Complex Numbers and Polynomials. I have this 2 semester course called 'Foundations'.

Last semester we did set theory and algebra (intro to groups, rings and fields). This semester we constructed the naturals from the Peano axioms, then the integers, then the rationals, then the reals, then the complex numbers and finally we studied polynomials.

So this course was literally about everything in mathematics, but it just so happens that tomorrows test is on the last 2 topics, complex numbers and polynomials.

And thanks for the reference.
>>
>>8488994

However of course it is still sensible to speak of the inequality of complex numbers as-such; statements of the form z =/= w are of course sensible, on the contrary.
>>
Bump.

I'm still alive here. Any more interesting problems?
Thread posts: 12
Thread images: 1

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.