[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Why humans are so bad at patterns?

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 12
Thread images: 4

Why are humans so bad at exponential and paradigm shift recognition?

I don't exactly have to go into the immense changes we face in the next 10 years. But just going to rehash some interesting history.

From Print -> Radio:
"Print is all that matters", people read too many books, then radio broadcast dominate media and the population.

Radio->TV
Election surprisingly decided by televised debate looks. Media and elites shocked. People should listen to radio and words more and not looks!

TV -> Social Media/internet
OMG, election decided by evil social media and not Television media! What a shocker.

Why is it that people refuse to understand patterns? Every new medium from print to social media is called shit and a joke. Rotates into mainstream, and then calls it's replacement a shit and a joke.

Why are human beings so fucking inept at understanding change?
>>
Just another example:

Trump has massive viral media campaign and popularity

Hillary has zero but huge funding

>hurp this new trend of social media and internet media means nothing
>I'm sure the 3x spending and ground game is what will decide it and not the newest and most powerful idea transmitter ever in existence that is literally turning muslims in France into Jihadis.
>>
The point is why are the "elites" and nobel prize winning economists also in the group baffled by paradigm changes?

The massive stupidity of human beings is absolutely amazing. 99.999999999% of humans don't understand the most basic truths about the reality they live in.
>>
Each successive generation of communications media permits us to express more faithfully who we truly are as a species. And the picture is not pretty.
>>
>>8487565
damn it I thought I was about to gain some super SC2 protoss base layout knowledge.
>>
>>8487617
We are in the "war of the worlds" stage of current media. People will look back and think everyone today is insane for how they view social media and are so susceptible to viral ideologies (of all types, PC, Alt right, jihad, etc).
>>
>>8487642
Or this will continue on this way and everyone from here on will come to think that it's perfectly sane and normal. They will think everything that came before was the anomaly. They will think times past were times of repression. Where we would try to subdue our wild, animal selves.
>>
File: pets-com-sock-puppet.jpg (15KB, 300x300px) Image search: [Google]
pets-com-sock-puppet.jpg
15KB, 300x300px
>>8487565
> Why are human beings so fucking inept at understanding change?

You're cherry picking out the times where there really were big permanent changes to society. It's hard to tell those apart from temporary fads except in hindsight so we don't automatically believe every paradigm shift is actually going to happen. Remember when motion controls were going to be a paradigm shift in gaming, how Segway was going to revolutionize commuting, and dubstep was the future of music?
>>
File: Virtual_Boy.jpg (136KB, 971x1000px) Image search: [Google]
Virtual_Boy.jpg
136KB, 971x1000px
>>8487730
how about Google Glass
and remember the Virtual Boy? forgive me for still not being convinced that virtual reality is the next big thing in gaming
>>
>>8487730
>>8487739
Very low IQ points. Gimmicks have always been around and most are easily identified by simple physics analysis.

Was Elon Musk a super-predictor for understanding that hydrogen fuel cells are fucking retarded? No, he just fucking looked at the thermodynamics and storage constraints and came to the same conclusion anyone with a clear mind does.

Same for flying cars. Anyone with a non-monkey brain understands that flying cars are only viable in a post-energy society due to the immense increase in energy required to counteract gravity.

The mainstream who believed pets.com or wii remotes are the future are the ones who didn't have a clear mind or functioning brain cells. Just like the people who believe real estate or home prices will always go up.

The vast majority of humans are blind to reality. Your examples are not ones of how hard the future is to predict but rather of how blind humans can be to it.
>>
>>8487565
>Why humans are so bad at patterns
>Why are humans so bad at exponential and paradigm shift recognition

I don't know wtf you're asking with your second question but humans are pretty good at pattern recognition. Or at least, they're pretty bad at making systems do pattern recognition.
>>
>muh historical teleology
Thread posts: 12
Thread images: 4

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.