[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Memory

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 17
Thread images: 1

File: memorymen.png (1MB, 1459x609px) Image search: [Google]
memorymen.png
1MB, 1459x609px
Over the past couple of years I realized that I barely have any memories of my childhood (I at least think it's not enough). I'm curious how much memory other people keep, as this is making me feel terrible, I feel like I'm losing my life.
I smoked weed maybe 15-20times at max from 15-18 years old. It was barely ever more than 1g though, and even though I know it affects your cognitive skills, I feel this wouldn't be enough to be severly destructive on ones long-term memory (correct me if I'm wrong)

From 0-3 I only have one memory of me crawling around in our living room. I guess it's normal to not have as much memory of those years. Afterwards I can only recall special events, and of those events I can barely ever recall more than a bit of a dialogue. Memory for me is a span of ~5 - 10 seconds at all times. I have just a couple of those from before I went to kindergarten, then just up to maybe 10 pieces of memory from the kindergarten itself (those are all not connected, and as I said incredibly short). In addition to that I can barely remember the places I used to be at, kindergarten itself I only remember one room, have no memory of my past best friends house overall (and also don't remember any time we met).
From my first day in school I can only remember talking to a friend for the first time and telling each other our names. Then following up on that again just pieces of my everyday life. Absolutely no details, no connection between events, and not that many of those at all. I also do not remember many special events. I can't remember a single christmas evening in detail, just a few birthday parties (again just very short/small pieces, and I don't all the gifts I got either (this is actually making me worry more now, is it normal to not be able to note down all the belongings you've had in your life?)) almost no details of family vacations, no matter how much I enjoyed them, and so on.
>>
From year 5-9 of school memories are a bit more frequent than that, but again just short/no details.

Highschool is a bit better, but not nearly as much as I wish it was.

To touch on a more recent example: Friends organized me a birthday party as a surprise in September. I was quite drunk, but not to the extent of having severe memory loss or anything, and yet again I can only recall it in short parts. Birthday went on from 7pm ~ 5am, of that I maybe remember about an hour - 2 in total.
To be even more recent: Friday was quite an enjoyable day. It was all freetime, and while doing nothing special it was just a nice day. Yet I maybe only remember again an hour - 2 in total of that.

Really all I want to know is how many memories, and in how much detail others keep them. I suppose brains block out memories that aren't of much importance, but I feel like my rate of block is unhealthy. I feel like I'm losing my life, and losing all the experiences I gathered. This makes me feel terrible at all times, and I'd like to ask if memories are completely deleted out of the brain, or if they're more or less sorted into the unconscious part of it.
If so, am I able to regain memories? Is there hope left?, has drug abuse ended my cognitive skills?

I had a troubled past, but there were also many amazing aspects to it (one that I remember in more detail is playing my first pokemon game), which I'd like to keep for the rest of my life. I'm considering to note them down, but this makes me feel like I'm under severe pressure. I feel like it would just make me realize how little there is left. Right now it feels like I could barely fill a couple of pages in Microsoft Word, which makes me want to throw up, considering it's my life I'm thinking about.
>>
I don't know how to break to you OP, so I'm going to be direct: you're a brainlet.

Better get a head start on those applications to Walmart. I hear they need shopping cart attendants in the parking lot this year. Remember to dress warm, the temperature drops in winter.

Good luck.
>>
waytl;dr
I'm not sure if I'm losing too many of my memories, is it normal to not be able to recall everything, sometimes even significant events? Sorry for posting such a long text, but this has been bothering me for a long time, and it feels good to finally write it down.

I would gladly appreciate any help
(Excuse any grammatical/spelling mistakes, I'm hurrying right now)

Something that may be important, and that I forgot to mention: no illnesses, unfortunately unhealthy diet (not many vitamins and such), was depressed/suicidal for quite some time
>>
>>8485556
This is why seeking genuine advice from 4chan is a bad idea OP, you'll have asshats like this who get a self esteem boost from putting other people down.
>>
>>8485557
OP you should do something to help you train your brain, it seems you have early signs of alzheimers. I am 35 and can remember what I did with 2 years.
>>
lmao jesus christ calm down mane

your rate of block is not unhealthy, I have maybe a couple dozen or so memories from the age of 3 to 18, none of which are of 9/11, funnily enough

besides, rather than use your brainpower attempting to remember a life that was largely not of your own doing (i.e. your parents, your grade school teachers, etc. pushed you) you should strive to create a good life now, and let the brain arbitrarily pick up on events it wants to remember

here, read this and you'll feel better
http://www4.ncsu.edu/~jjsakon/FunestheMemorious.pdf
>>
>>8485576
How clearly though? I remember what I did within the last year as well but only to such an extent of what I mentioned in the posts? (Few parts of dialogues and such) Any advice on what I could do? Should I visit a doc?

>>8485570
It's all good, but thank you
>>
I remember lots of events and moments in my childhood right down to the day of week, month and the year. But you tend to "chunk" the event into single snapshottable moments rather than remembering the whole thing. That's just the way human memory works.

I also smoked a lot of weed and did meth (when I was 22, from July-October 2013) and my memory is fine. So it's probably not drug abuse in your case.

You might have something else going on OP, you should talk to someone (that isn't 4chan) like a counselor or a psychiatrist.
>>
>>8485581
>How clearly though?
Well actually I can remember it as if it were last year.
>>
>>8485576
I'm 38 and I remember about as much as OP. I dont' think I'm losing anything though.
>>
>>8485547
From the early life I would say I have up to 30 vivid snapshot memories, all of them were personally important (like crashing with a bicycle). Other than that now I hardly remember what I was doing 6 months ago.
There was once someone asked me which countries I have visited (I am European), well, I answered. Later ruminating of countries I visited I somehow uncovered more and what is suprising those were quite eventful visits.
My theory is that I somehow stopped giving much of a shit about anything, nothing really excites me very much so it doesn't stick to my memory board.
I am always astonished by people, especially old ones, who tell stories like: in 1976 I met this and that in that location, he told me that and this and so on, with many many details.
Whereas I have a very hard time remembering things I did last summer.
>>
>>8485682
By the way, upon closer inspection I have very foggy memories of really personally important stuff, somehow I even can't remember my first kiss (all you jokers, this is even too low hanging a fruit, even for you).
>>
It's normal
>>
Things based on Matter and processed by the Ego are the least important parts of the Human experience. Only Gnosis is unforgettable.
>>
>>8485682
>I am always astonished by people, especially old ones, who tell stories like: in 1976 I met this and that in that location, he told me that and this and so on, with many many details.

Memory is a constructive process. Remembering is also reshaping, and so, a number of details is no proof of precision unless confirmed by other sources that have not been influenced by the first person.
>>
>>8485547

I usually can't summon up specific memories "at will". Looking back at my early childhood I can probably remember about two dozen or so memories, most of which are very ordinary in nature. I was probably 3 or 4 years old on the earliest ones.

Some people like to turn their memories into stories they can share with other people, and that definitely helps them remember things more clearly and vividly. Since I don't have anyone to share those stories, and they usually aren't very interesting to begin with, they just remain in a state of permanent, unstructured reverie.
Thread posts: 17
Thread images: 1

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.