[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

What are some good movies / documentaries about maths?

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 26
Thread images: 4

File: 1478704923680m.jpg (52KB, 1024x768px) Image search: [Google]
1478704923680m.jpg
52KB, 1024x768px
What are some good movies / documentaries about maths?
>>
>>8483016
pi
>>
>>8483018
the only maths in the movie is his name and he knows a lot of pis' digits
>>
>>8483018
kek
It is a good movie though
Goodwill Hunting and A Beautiful Mind are also good movies about math people. Not so much a documentary but rather "based on a true story" but entertaining nonetheless.
>>
>>8483016
The story of maths was pretty nice. there was a documentary about grigory perelman on public tv that was also nice
>>
>>8483016
Beautiful Young Minds - a documentary about a bunch of sperglords competing in the IMO
>>
>>8483016
The man who knew infinity was ok, not terrible. The Imitation Game isn't as accurate, but still watchable and entertaining.

Academic films are never good. Hollywood just can't into academia as well as writers can.

>>8483038
>Goodwill Hunting
Fuck off and die he asked for movies about maths not some fictional snowflake entertainment bullshit.

A Beautiful Mind was ok.

>>8485523
Fuck off he asked for documentaries about maths not a bunch autists obsessed with doing baby practice problems really fast.
>>
File: 1479549798092.jpg (1MB, 3840x2160px) Image search: [Google]
1479549798092.jpg
1MB, 3840x2160px
>>8485528
>>
>>8483016
http://4chan-science.wikia.com/wiki/Documentaries
>>
>>8483016
Simon Singh has written two easy to digest books on it:
Fermat's Last Theorem
The Code Book
Haven't read his latest book, but from this talk it seems okay
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bk_Kjpl2AaA
>>
>>8485543
Mirin the detail in that pic.
>>
>>8485528
I bet you couldn't do a single problem in the IMO, kek
>>
>>8485566
>I bet you couldn't write a single meaningful paper in a internationally peer reviewed journal, kek

Fuck off gook, you're NOT a real mathematician and chances are you never will be.
>>
>>8483016

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=w-I6XTVZXww

It's outstanding
>>
>>8485571
Stay mad and /pol/ faggot, I'm white
>>
>>8485582
Fuck off cumskin, you're NOT a real mathematician and chances are you never will be.
>>
numberphile.

also i watched this today, humorous, mildly entertaining, yet educational doco about the invention of numbers

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qevpRffg6wc
>>
>>8485571
>Fuck off gook, you're NOT a real mathematician and chances are you never will be.
Neither will you retard.
>>
>>8485612
>yfw I'm so good at what I do I've already been offered a permanent lectureship and I haven't even done my defense yet.
No really post your face, I want to see it.
>>
>>8485586
We jews have been the pioneers of maths while you squint eyed retards were busy inventing the abacus. Now keep your head down.
>>
>>8485855
You're oven fuel. Don't even quote me.
>>
>>8485855
lmao for one smart jew, we have 10 chinese geniuses. You are outnumbered and outgunned when it comes to the smarts.
>>
>>8485867
Remind me who has more fields medals again? Before we even start to consider the fact that there are literal billions of you gook roaches infecting the planet's surface.
>>
File: 1478648253487.jpg (67KB, 800x557px) Image search: [Google]
1478648253487.jpg
67KB, 800x557px
>>8483016
The life of Pi
>>
File: nerd.jpg (47KB, 342x317px) Image search: [Google]
nerd.jpg
47KB, 342x317px
>>8485920
omg my fav movie
>>
>>8483016

/sci/ won't like this, but they're simply wrong: The Man Who Knew Infinity is actually a fairly decent film treatment of math as-such, and what the process of doing math is actually like. Yes it's dramatized, because It's A Movie You Dip, it has to give people other things to latch onto apart from the math itself. And there really was a certain dramatic arc to Ramanujan's life, a story worth telling.

And there actually is relatively (by film standards) substantive mathematical material presented in the movie: reference is made to the gamma function, the partitions bit is spelled out for people, different aesthetic approaches to math are presented (this is important as well), and the taxicab meme is even thrown in at the end. Ramanujan writes out some sort of an elliptic integral in a series representation on the blackboard, which actually stands a check IIRC. No you're not going to get IUT in the film, but it's perhaps unrealistic to expect such of a movie. A documentary, maybe.

This dramatic life-arc is unusual of mathematicians. Most mathematicians lead extremely dull lives, which is why when a Galois-personal-life meme comes along, people latch onto it, because there's actually a little sexiness to that story, which doesn't come along very often in the private lives of mathematicians.

My point is that the recent Ramanjan movie actually tries to present some actual math and explain a bit about why people do it and care about it, and what their private lives and interactions can be like (albeit in a dramatic example), and it succeeds to a viable degree. Most other movies that are anything to do with math don't even manage this: pi is a fun aesthetic student film but he's just rambling about spirals, pi, arithmetic etc and not actually doing anything truly mathematical.
Thread posts: 26
Thread images: 4

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.