[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Can someone explain to a retard why the action potential overshoots?

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 10
Thread images: 2

File: Apshoot.jpg (38KB, 732x542px) Image search: [Google]
Apshoot.jpg
38KB, 732x542px
Can someone explain to a retard why the action potential overshoots?
>>
>>8481124
It's due to voltage controlled gates.
As the cell depolarises, these gates become all open and let sodium in and potassium out, leading to hyperpolarisation (the overshoot). It's basically a phase of positive feedback between the gates and membrane polarisation.
>>
>>8481131
Thanks but what causes inward diffusion of sodium to overcome repulsion from the accumulating positive charge?
>>
>>8481124
Khanacademy has pretty good videos about this subject. https://www.khanacademy.org/science/health-and-medicine/nervous-system-and-sensory-infor/neuron-membrane-potentials-2014-03-27T17:58:17.207Z/v/neuron-action-potential-description
>>
>>8481133
Diffusion down a gradient. The 'accumulating positive charge' is negligible.
>>
>>8481232
Thanks senpai. Is there an intuitive proof why it is negligible? And why is only a gradient of sodium relevant shouldn't the concentration of non-sodium things inside be high enough to restrict diffusion?
>>
File: RLC_transient_plot.png (103KB, 1001x805px) Image search: [Google]
RLC_transient_plot.png
103KB, 1001x805px
>>8481124
I'm just an EE with no clue about biology, but it looks like the transient voltage of an RLC circuit. Maybe because the potential gradient acts like a capacitor and when it discharges it oscilates due to some inherent inductance.
>>
>>8481919
Also EE major with very little bio background, I thought the same thing
>>
>>8481957
>>8481919
Nah it's that at all. It's because the voltage-gated channels don't turn off until they sense a minimum positive voltage, and they don't all turn off instantaneously and simultaneously.
>>
>>8481860
The Goldman and Nernst equations will show you why, if you solve them for their respective ions:
they basically show the balance between the forces due to both the electric, and concentration gradients
Thread posts: 10
Thread images: 2

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.