[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Was his intelligence genetic?

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 13
Thread images: 3

File: john von neumann.jpg (72KB, 433x614px) Image search: [Google]
john von neumann.jpg
72KB, 433x614px
or did he just work harder than other mathematicians at the time?
>>
File: disgust[1].jpg (23KB, 500x320px) Image search: [Google]
disgust[1].jpg
23KB, 500x320px
>>8481009
>Von Neumannlet genetics
I'm glad the world of math won't encounter such a fraudulent brainlet ever again.
>>
>>8481009
he was a freaking child prodigy of course it was genetic how is this a question
>>
>>8481009
ever read his wikipedia page?
"Von Neumann was a child prodigy. As a 6 year old, he could multiply and divide two 8-digit numbers in his head,[12][13] and could converse in Ancient Greek."
"By the age of 8, von Neumann was familiar with differential and integral calculus"
"At the age of 15, he began to study advanced calculus under the renowned analyst Gábor Szegő.[22] On their first meeting, Szegő was so astounded with the boy's mathematical talent that he was brought to tears."
>>
>>8481254
Sounds like an alien but serious question.. say Johnny grew up in dumb middle of rural America, say somewhere in Alabama with those skill sets to an alcoholic father and a drop out mother. They know their son is smart but it's more important to work than go to school. Johnny reads lots of books, does well on school but instead of going to college he works at a factory plant starting at 16 like his dad.

What is the lilehood this talented boy breaks the mold and leaves the factory plant with absolutely no guidance?
>>
>>8481267
it is true that his family was very wealthy, which provided him with the opportunities he had, but one can never truly know.
look at ramanujan; humble indian meme who made it semi-big with a letter to hardy. plus, many other mathematicians came from poor and chaotic backgrounds and made it big. look at grothendieck - had nazis raid his camps and had to survive on his own, lost his parents to auschwitz concentration camp, yet he made it to be one of the best mathematicians of the 20th century.
i personally believe little johnny would've made it big regardless.
>>
>>8481279
I don't doubt he would have made it big regardless but he would have definitely risk having his success delayed in life.

He would have been like Will Hunting, a no body from a redneck family doing advance mathematics on his spare time as a factory worker (in my example).

Someone would have eventually picked him (hopefully) or he would have hopefully reached out to someone (professors at universities) and they may have agreed to take him on as a student.

Nevertheless it is clear that he would have had an uphill battle. Why would professors care about a seemingly bright uneducated kid from a dumb fuck Alabama family over a very bright kid erucated kid that's vying for the same spot?

In this situation all the ivies are out of question. In this little toy example he may have gotten into university of Alabama or Aurburn at best. From there his mathematical knowledge would have most likely dazzled everyone since his raw IQ would have made him smarter than anyone he came across. But by that point he has been set back so much in life the impact would be unmeasurable.
>>
Ignore typos. Typing on a phone >>8481291
>>
>>8481009
Those are nor incompatible nor the only options
>>
File: collage-2016-11-14.png (1MB, 1920x360px) Image search: [Google]
collage-2016-11-14.png
1MB, 1920x360px
>>8481267
I live in San Diego and we are infested with the worst Redneck losers in the military. Many of them marry the first hooker they have sex with and they produce some very smart kids. An Inbred from West Virginia and a Korean whore produced three Ivy Leaguers. I know another Redneck from Missouri dad and Thai hooker mother who produced a daughter going to a top medical school on full scholarship.

You have to be around these dumb fucks to understand how stupid they are, yet with a whore mother they come out smart.
>>
tfw when women pass down all the intelligence genetics so von neumanns intelligence died with him. His mother was probably the only person that challenged him throughout his life, but because of our sexist patriarchal society, she was never given the chance to shine.
>>
>>8481309
I don't doubt any of that. But somehow San Diego seems better to be in than Alabama. Even if you are fucking insanely smart if you grow up in a household with an income less than 20k a year, have no one telling you what college is or about and telling you your ass is going to go to work as soon as you graduate high school your chances for someone spotting your brilliance is shot.

Basically at that point you'd have to madly reach out to as many professors as you can and hope one of them gives you a shot.

An alabama Johnny would be amazing no matter what he grew up as but what he'd have to do to get noticed and mentored would be equally incredible
>>
>>8481311
dafuq are you talking about, where is there any proof that women pass down all the intelligence genes
Thread posts: 13
Thread images: 3

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.