[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Actuarial Science?

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 20
Thread images: 2

File: peepo mad.jpg (59KB, 655x527px) Image search: [Google]
peepo mad.jpg
59KB, 655x527px
I am looking to apply to actuarial science programs for university, I am pretty strong in math and am in the International Baccalaureate program, just wondering if anyone else here is an actuary? It seems like it had good room for growth, good salary, good work environment, work-life balance, etc. and I don't need to get degrees out the ass.
>>
>>8480846
There might be some Actuaries on /sci/ but you might not have answers until tomorrow

Anyway, i hope Actuarial Science won't become the new Accounting or something since i keep seeing people wanting to do this degree/job

At least for me i want to become a college professor + software engy or research
>>
>>8480860
IDK I think accounting will truly be outdated when we get blockchain technology used by banks, but I can't see computers doing what Actuaries do 100%
>>
>>8480878
Anything could happen, anon-kun

Maybe this makes people work harder or CS will be more saturated than it already is
>>
Recently graduated actuary here. The salary is pretty great and I get free insurance. I work 9-5 with a pretty good team in an insurance company and it's been great so far. As for the degree, it's pretty advanced math so be ready to get a lot of that, even though a lot of it will be pretty useless. Focus on statistics, programming(C++ and Matlab) and probability theory as those are the subjects I use on a daily basis. It will be hard but it will be worth it in the end.
>>
>>8480900
programming comes super easy to me. I learned PHP when I was about 13, and since then probably made about 10k selling gambling scripts for bitcoin. Math comes easy to me, ESPECIALLY calculus. I am kicking myself for not joining Higher Level Math at our school (probably would have helped) but I doubt it will really disadvantage me.
>>
>>8480903
>>8480900
Also I'd like to add I can type at 150 WPM, and if this job involves sitting at a computer all day, if I can type 2x faster than my colleagues I think I will stand out no?
>>
>>8480900

Calculus is by far the easiest subject with algebra and analysis. Advanced statistics and probability theory is where it's at as they are very different subjects where you'll have to learn a lot of new stuff very fast.
>>
>>8480900

You don't get free insurance. Someone pays for that insurance. Just because you don't personally pay for something, does not mean that that something is not free. The fact that your language suggests that you do not understand that economic fact indicates both that you are a poor accountant, and a poor actuary.
>>
>>8480909

k
>>
>>8480900
Damn, you just summoned a /biz/raeli >>8480909

Anyway, nice /adv/ice but he's gotta keep it up with finance and economics as well, not only "muh statistics and programming" baka anon
>>
>>8480914
economics are fucking gay but i am very good with finance and financial math. I am good at economics and all, but its fucking politics, its like a religion.
>>
>>8480920
>>8480914

Well imo mathematical finance and economics are not that hard compared to the rest of the subjects, I wasn't implying they are not important, just wanted to make sure he'll get statistics and stuff right as those are really important tools for the job.
>>
>>8480920
>economics are fucking gay
Yet they can have a bigger salary than you could ever get with literal 200k/yr if they work on big companies on the US
Nothing wrong with economics if you only use math shit like econometrics
>>8480925
True that
>>
>>8480934
How many regular economists get paid that much? And the median actuary salary is around 100k USD, many make over 300k as fellows after 10-15 years of experience.
>>
>>8480940
That's why you should learn everything senpai

Most degrees related to business will get you 300k if you're good and have nice relationships
Also the """economists""" that only have a bachelors only will get low pay compared to their masters counterpart because that's where the economist job begins
>>
File: 0669 - hgQpDhM.gif (280KB, 400x388px) Image search: [Google]
0669 - hgQpDhM.gif
280KB, 400x388px
>>8480947
>>8480940
Oh fugg. Im an economics major.
>>
>>8480940
Guys from elite schools are the ones making that money, not the guy from Shit State University.
>>
>>8480903
Lol SL math is a joke
I finished HL with a 6 with little to no effort
>>
>>8480846
Retirement actuary here. There are two broad categories of actuaries. Those covered by the Society of Actuaries (SOA) and Casualty Actuarial Society (CAS).

SOA = life insurance, annuities and retirement plans.
CAS = auto, home insurance,

Both are covered by a series of credentialing exams. Take the first two exams. If you pass consider an actuarial career. Note the pass rates for these exams is ~33%.
Thread posts: 20
Thread images: 2

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.