[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Faster than c Thought Experiment

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 12
Thread images: 1

Assume that we have a rod extending from the equator on Earth into space. (For the sake of the argument, assume the rod is as strong as theoretically possible and extends through the earth out the other side an equal distance to maintain the balance of the Earth's rotation) If we could make the rod long enough, what forces would stop the tip of the rod from traveling at a speed faster than c when earth is rotating?

Calculating, I get:

---
c = 299792458 m/sec

1 light day = 25902068371200 m (this is also the circumference of the circle needed for the end of the rod to be traveling at the speed of light over the course of 24 hours)

---
pi(d) = 25902068371200 m (get the diameter of circle above)

diameter = 8244884435161 m

radius of rod = 4122442217581 m = 4,122,442,218 km

---
Distance to Neptune = 4,700,000,000 km

---
Maintaining Earth's rotational speed, we would need a rod that extended out from the equator 4,122,442,218 km (somewhere between Saturn and Neptune) for the tip of the rod to be traveling faster than c. If you have something that rotates faster (Jupiter for example, or millisecond pulsar), the distance you need for the rod is dramatically decreased. I get the distances are insanely far, but it's infinitely less than infinite.

So where's the weak point. Would the atoms break apart in the rod, or would the earth's rotation slow for some reason?
>>
You're thought experiment a shit.
>>
>>8477711
The rod would break, or bend until the tip is within a sub-light orbital range.
>>
pretty veritasium discussed this in one of his videos. The conclusion is even if you could invent some super strong material that'll NOT BREAK no matter what, it still won't break c.
>>
>>8477727

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EPsG8td7C5k

good one
>>
>>8477715
this.
>>
Length dilation. It would bend.
>>
The force Holding the stick together is the electromagnetic one. Its Carrier particles, photons, move with velocity c. If an Object would move with c, the force could not interact between the particles, and it would Fall apart
>>
>>8477711
>what "forces" would stop the tip of the rod from traveling at a speed faster than c when earth is rotating?
The amount of rotational energy required
>>
>>8477711
for sake of completeness: assume a diameter for the rod, calculate a volume, assume a material density, calculate a mass and compare it to the earth's mass... In order to not slow the earth's rotation (and by that: your pole's speed) you would need to accelerate that mass in some other way, ending up in the situation you wouldn't need the earth at all
>>
>>8477715
that's what she said
>>
rigidity isn't real
Thread posts: 12
Thread images: 1

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.