[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Does chess play a role in intelligence

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 11
Thread images: 1

File: Magnus Carlsen beast.jpg (119KB, 1280x669px) Image search: [Google]
Magnus Carlsen beast.jpg
119KB, 1280x669px
at least spatial/mathematical intelligence or is there no correlation

does Magnus Carlsen have a more "advanced" brain than the regular guy?
>>
>>8477441
Chess = Intelligence is a meme.

Chess is basically memorization at the higher levels and attempting to gain power of the middle of the board.

Honestly, it is a waste of time, but that is just my opinion.
>>
>>8477468
What about Go?

What about counting cards?

Isnt everything just memorizing at high levels? At what point are we as humans dumb enough that we have to make intelligent choices, and of those choices we make how do they reflect intelligence?
>>
>>8477441

He just remembers the chosen subject. Chess is seriously just memorization if you're playing other players that do it too, and even then knowing the counters to "random" moves is just memorization as well.

Wow. So intelligent!
>>
>>8477502
>>8477468

proves you know nothing about chess

at high level memorization won't take you to the top...you also need to know how to calculate 4-5 up to 10 different lines in any giving move
>>
>>8477524

You have to remember the counters turns ahead. Oh boy, that certainly isn't memorization!
>>
>>8477441
>does Magnus Carlsen have a more "advanced" brain than the regular guy?

no. he just plays chess more than the rest of us
>>
>>8477441
I think it's true that more intelligent people are naturally better at chess, but you can say that about anything.

I think it's also true that chess doesn't necessarily make you smarter, just gets you better at thinking in a certain way. Whether recognizing spatial patterns and such is beneficial in everyday life is up for debate.

He probably has a more advanced brain, but chess didn't create that.
>>
>>8477600
Then everything is memorization, even mathematics.
Dumb cunt.
>>
>>8477441
chess master here,

chess = intelligence is an even bigger meme than iq tests. It's just a game
>>
When you're playing someone of a similar level of experience to you and you're both playing properly and have time to think then it is about intelligence
Thread posts: 11
Thread images: 1

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.