[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

What is the point of this thing? If you observe new evidence

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 6
Thread images: 1

File: Bayes'_Theorem_MMB_01.jpg (1MB, 2148x1377px) Image search: [Google]
Bayes'_Theorem_MMB_01.jpg
1MB, 2148x1377px
What is the point of this thing?

If you observe new evidence related to your hypothesis after you have calculated a probability, why can't you just include the new evidence in your data and calculate a new probability?

I don't know a terrible lot about probability so forgive me if this is obvious.
>>
it's like this: you have a map in front of you where you want to locate an object, you can guess where the object is with some probability. So you draw a large circle somewhere from your calculations. Then new info comes up and your new map is smaller, so you redo your calculations and get a smaller "more precise" circle. Basically the new info you got helped you in locating your object by shrinking your search area.
>>
>>8477296
It can give you an understanding of how unintuitive probabilities are at times.

e.g.
If a city has 1000 taxicabs, and 100 of these are green, the rest are yellow.
A person is hit by what is reported as a green taxi.

When we check this person in similar light-conditions we find they correctly identify the color as green 90% of the time.

Let's enter these into the equation:
P(B) - probability of correct identification (=0.9)
P(A) - probability of being a green cab. (= 0.1)
P(B|A) - probability of identifying correct given green cab.
P(A|B) - probability of green cab given identified as green.

So; What's the probability the cab that ran over the person was really green ?
>>
>>8477328
Ps. I have here also assumed they were 90% correct for the identification of yellow cabs too.

Which gives us the equation:
P(A|B) = (0.9 * 0.1) /0.9 = 0.1, or 10%

For a twist; let's say yellow cabs are correctly identified 99% of the time, and green cabs are identified correctly 90% of the time.

This changes the equations a bit.
P(B) = identified as green.
P(not B) - identified as not green.
P(A) - Green (0.1)
P(not a) . not green.(0.9)
P(B|A) - identified as green, is green. ( 0.9)
P(B| not A) - identified as green, not green. (0.01)
P(not B | A) - identified as yellow,, is green (0.1)
P(not B | not A) - identified as yellow, is yellow (0.99)

P(A | B) - is green, identified as green (P = ?)
>>
>>8477328
Wow, that is unintuitive, but it does make sense.
>>
>>8477296
its conditional probability

its the chance of something happening given that you know something that will affect it

so think about things like the montee hall problem, which is a conditional probability problem

its the same thing

if you KNOW some new information, it changes your odds

if you dont know, it doesnt matter what door you pick

basically its unintuitive because people don't consider that it's changing the initial odds

"why would changing your door help?" is because they arent realising that the problem has now changed and you have to consider a new problem.
Thread posts: 6
Thread images: 1

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.