[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Science has no finality

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 16
Thread images: 5

File: 2026_m_hide_and_seek.jpg (87KB, 800x643px) Image search: [Google]
2026_m_hide_and_seek.jpg
87KB, 800x643px
Science like art, and philosophy have no finality

The modern idea that science is more important than art is just because its profitable. In Renascence times, art was profitable and therefore seen as much more important than it is now. In the same time, people like Galileo, that spent their days looking at the sky trying to find answers were seen as people with just too much free time, because what finality does it have to know how the objects fall and how is the surroundings of Earth?
>>
I'm not sure I understand what you mean by 'finality.' What is your native language? Maybe something is lost in translation.
>>
>>8477211
i mean finality as ultimate goal
i dont think this makes any easyer to understand, but anyway
its portuguese btw
>>
>>8477219
Ah, I see. I think the English equivalent would be 'end.'

'Telos,' in Greek philosophy.
>>
>>8477219
Isn't the goal to explain the real world ?
>>
>>8477206

i would replace profitability with utility then agree with you.
>>
>>8477242

but hes saying, if you take away the profitability (or i say utility) then to what end is that; just out of curiosity or pleasure, the same as when someone enjoys or makes art
>>
>>8477242
yes but outside really simple maths and physics science doesn't have any affect on peoples life

what im tring to say here is that both art and science are pointless is a way and both are just driven to inexplicable forces

saying that any of those is better then other is pointless
>>
>>8477206
Just read "Finite and Infinite Games" by James P. Carse.

You'll like it, and it will give you the philosophical basis for discussing statements like this.

Basically; Art, Science, etc. can be viewed through two different goals: as an infinite or a finite game.

examples: "I want to be the best at drawing photorealistic portraits" - measurable, and to some extent a finite game.
"I want to be the guy who discovers the Theory of Everything" - finite game, and also; Boring.

Art or science pursued to constantly expand the horizon of what is possible, in order to find new opportunities, ways of thinking, provoking questions and resolving things in unexpected ways; This becomes an infinite game, which will continue beyond your own lifetime, and which will continue to enrich our lives for lifetimes to come.

The only question is; Do you explore new ways of thinking and observing in order to build some bullshit title for yourself, or for the thrill of an ever-expanding horizon of possibilities.
>>
File: love you anon.gif (1MB, 209x180px) Image search: [Google]
love you anon.gif
1MB, 209x180px
>>8477311
thanks for the rec, will get a look on it, sounds interesting
>>
>>8477206

Science actually gets solid answers that help us understand why shit is the way it is. Art and philosophy can't be built upon in any way and just deal with bullshit like morals and relationships which aren't real.

Don't be an idiot
>>
File: 1424486737360.jpg (39KB, 447x444px) Image search: [Google]
1424486737360.jpg
39KB, 447x444px
>>8478267
>morals and relationships which aren't real
>calls me an idiot
>>
>>8477206
No.

First of all Art is a human communication tool for ideas. But modern art is especially shit because mental midgets mistake obscurity for cleverness. Incompetence in execution is not cryptic.

Art is more akin to a language. Language is both functional and emotional. Whimsical poetry is recognizable as art, poetry is about communication of ideas and emotion.

Science is about understanding reality and harnessing it at all levels. To science is to grok.
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Grok
>>
>>8478267
Both philosophy and theoretical science are about creating and exploring structures and models that might represent reality and then attempting to test the theory.

The problem is that a finite set of data can be fitted with multiple equations.
>>
File: Peeper.jpg (423KB, 1880x1360px) Image search: [Google]
Peeper.jpg
423KB, 1880x1360px
>>8477219
>>8477206

Belief in ultimate goal is just an human attempt in simplifying reality to a format you an understand

teleology is delusion.

Op is stupid
>>
>>8477286
>outside really simple maths and physics science doesn't have any affect on peoples life
Really? Chemistry has no effect on people's lives? Do you know the word "medicine"? Pharmacology? Plastics and their utilities as a byproduct of petrochemical science? Materials science and modern engineering and construction? Biology applied to research in human diseases?

Telecommunications, semiconductors and microelectronics too, do you think they don't affect people's lives and/or that they're not science?
Thread posts: 16
Thread images: 5

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.