[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

We have a bonus physics question in my physics 210 class (no

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 7
Thread images: 2

File: ganymede.jpg (160KB, 1024x868px) Image search: [Google]
ganymede.jpg
160KB, 1024x868px
We have a bonus physics question in my physics 210 class (no credit. It's just a test prep question). It asks about the mass of Jupiter determined by the orbit of Ganymede.

Another bonus question (a bonus question of the bonus question) it says in the notes 'In order to determine the radius of Ganymede's orbit, someone needed to measure the distance between Earth and Jupiter. How can Earth bound observers measure this distance?

I would initially suggest paralax but since both Jupiter and Earth are orbiting together I can't see how that can be useful.
>>
do you start the problem knowing either of their size?
>>
File: Untitled.png (46KB, 708x413px) Image search: [Google]
Untitled.png
46KB, 708x413px
>>8476355
http://www.physicsclassroom.com/calcpad/circgrav
>>
>>8476359
everything's given in the problem to solve it, it's just a curiosity question at the end of the problem.

I guess to reword the question would be 'how did the renaissance scientists discover the distance to Jupiter'
>>
>>8476374
So if I can follow properly. Once you have G you can determine the mass of the Earth/Sun/Moon by their orbital periods. You can then use the mass of the sun to determine the Rs of all the planets thus giving you their distance from Earth one by one which can then be used to solve the question of Jupiter's mass based on Ganymede's orbit.

You don't actually need Ganymede's orbit then, all you need is the mass of the sun and the orbital period. Ganymede is just sauce I guess.
>>
>>8476473
How would you find the Sun's mass without knowing its distance?
>>
>>8476654
This question is starting to drive me nuts.
Thread posts: 7
Thread images: 2

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.