[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Are Seasteadings the Future?

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 12
Thread images: 4

File: 02[1].jpg (633KB, 1280x720px) Image search: [Google]
02[1].jpg
633KB, 1280x720px
Are Seasteadings the Future?
>>
>>8474076
>Massive islands vulnerable to terrorist attacks of the laziest kind, the weather, and fresh water supplies that rely on perfectly functioning infrastructure
No
>>
>>8474076
The only future.
We will have this long before mars colony meme
>>
>>8474095
>Massive islands vulnerable to terrorist attacks
I'd imagine they'd be extremely selective of who they let in.

>the weather
Explained here: http://www.seasteading.org/engineering/

>fresh water supplies that rely on perfectly functioning infrastructure

explained here: http://www.seasteading.org/project-oasis/
>>
File: 1029-BUILDING-cropped[1].jpg (767KB, 1260x551px) Image search: [Google]
1029-BUILDING-cropped[1].jpg
767KB, 1260x551px
>>8474126
I always thought that Ocean Colonization would result in "gateway technology" that would make space colonization even easier.
>>
>>8474076
> vulnerable to terrorist attacks of the laziest kind
Much more easily secured than a desert settlement. Granted, nobody is going to build this off the coast of Somalia, but anywhere with a Coast Guard will do just fine.

> the weather
As opposed to, say, New Orleans? Miami? Haiti?

> fresh water supplies that rely on perfectly functioning infrastructure
Fresh water already depends on that.

Desalination is as easy as a pump and solar/generator powered reverse osmosis.

Climate change will raise water levels. How do you combat that - huge city-wide walls / levees (again, New Orleans) or floating cities that don't care what the ocean level is?

The only difficulty I see is with sewage removal. It would be awfully tempting just to flush it straight down - which would foul the water and produce algae blooms and dead zones.
>>
>>8474076
why would I pay a shitload of money to live in a condo that is in the middle of nowhere?
>>
>>8474126
not until nations get butthurt because seasteadings could be military outposts

>see south China sea
>>
>>8474136

Wouldn't surprise me if the Mississippi Delta had another massive land conservation/reclamation project like it did a hundred years ago.

You just have no idea how much farmland used to be swamp. Arkansas alone used to export more rice than China thanks to advancements in controlling flooding and draining.

My home town has a levee like 40 feet high because a hundred years ago the town got flooded. You used to be able to see the flood stains on the courthouse along with a cannonball impact from the civil war.
>>
>>8474138
Its a whole city, plus you will be close to some coast
>>
File: floating-city-1024x598_2[1].jpg (136KB, 1024x598px) Image search: [Google]
floating-city-1024x598_2[1].jpg
136KB, 1024x598px
>>8474138
because it's the future anon.
>>
Probably not; We've still got plenty of land left.
Thread posts: 12
Thread images: 4

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.