[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Earthquake caused by supermoon?

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 14
Thread images: 1

File: Screenshot_2016-11-14-17-21-51~2.jpg (461KB, 1440x2081px) Image search: [Google]
Screenshot_2016-11-14-17-21-51~2.jpg
461KB, 1440x2081px
Last night there was a 7.5 magnitude earthquake in New Zealand. People are saying it was because the moon was slightly closer to the earth last night. Are they right..?
>>
>>8473221
>independant.co.uk
>>
>>8473221

Unlikely. Moving the crust is a whole hell of a lot harder than moving the sea.
>>
>>8473221
No..
>>
Project Black Star
>>
That's fucking retarded
>>
>>8473221

>someone posts science related article
>suddenly all your highschool dropout facebook friends have a B.Sc.
>>
moon effects large bodies of liquid such as oceans

can moon effect magma under the crust?
>>
>>8473221
>"No evidence that the moon doesn't cause earthquakes!"

geologists on suicide watch
>>
>>8473221
I see that Ken M just has his name to Justin Williams.
>>
Geology student here. We talked about another example last year when an Earthquake occurred and everyone wanted to relate it to some weather event.

Birthday problem
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Birthday_problem

Basically we have about a dozen major earthquakes a year. Because important events happen and because earthquakes happen, you are bound to have some correlation when comparing each earthquake to something important. It is inevitable. Does the important 'thing' cause the earthquake? Well, good luck with that.
>>
Its probably not significsnt enough to be worth mentioning or even studying, but I don't see why the moon's gravity couldn't be a contributing factor.

It would have to be a fault that's about ready to move anyway, but the tidal force could be the straw that breaks the camel's back.
>>
>>8473221
Are they right..?

Does a bear shit in outer space?
>>
>>8473239
the moon doesn't just move the sea. It moves the crust to. look up body tide
Thread posts: 14
Thread images: 1

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.