[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Suppose you were tasked with allocating $100bn to scientific

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 16
Thread images: 2

File: 1466527018919.jpg (83KB, 612x612px) Image search: [Google]
1466527018919.jpg
83KB, 612x612px
Suppose you were tasked with allocating $100bn to scientific research projects (either existing or new projects). You can allocate as much or as little to each project as you want, but you must allocate all of the money. All of the projects must be genuine research efforts - no joke projects like building a cannon to shoot badgers into space or anything like that.

Which projects would you choose to allocate funds to, how much would each of those projects get, and why?

pic unrelated
>>
>>8472112
50 billion to prototyping O'Neil cylinder style colonies

30 billion split 3 ways towards basic research in physics, chemistry, and biology, with an allocation committee made up of respected scientists in each field.

20 billion to be allocated equally between fighting climate change and researching ways to convince people it is a real threat that must be acted on.
>>
Catgirl robot sex slaves. All of it
>>
$100bn to autism research. I want to get cured before I turn 21.
>>
>>8472112
I stopped caring about that stuff when I realised my life is shit and nobody cares how well I understand where multiple branches of research are heading.
Hell, even if something really cool was created with that money, I wouldn't even be allowed a ride because I can't afford it.

So I guess I'd waste them on researching something that'll create misery to the masses, like an horrible biological weapon or something.
>>
50bn to halitosis research so that they can come up with a pill that absolutely kills sulfur compound gases and other gases that cause shit breath, no matter the cause (this sounds stupid, but I've suffered from halitosis for 14 years for no apparent reason)

50bn to cancer research
>>
>>8472123
>O'Neill cylinder style colonies
How would that work? You would have to have some type of artificial gravity and for now that's impossible. Gravity can only be created by a large amount of mass, so the size of these colonies would be unbelievable.
>>
>>8472170
you make them spin
>>
>>8472112

$100bn to the SENS Research Foundation.
>>
>>8472179
What if they stop spinning or spin way too fast?
>>
>>8472195
a.) that is why in this hypothetical thread i have allocated half of the money given to me to start working out the kinks, and 2.) why would either one happen for no reason? if the correct spin rate was achieved then the only adjustments necessary would be to keep it spinning at that rate, and in an orbital environment that would take very little energy.
>>
>>8472112
$100bn to CRISPR research for disease cures, food modification, and energy problems

On a side note, do you think it's possible to design bacteria that convert methane to water and carbon, then make it colonise cow anuses?
That would be a pretty good research project.
>>
>>8472134
Tempting, but I'd rather put everything into VR. It has more possibilities and is much more likely to actually bring good results.
>>
File: 1478510088793.gif (1MB, 785x757px) Image search: [Google]
1478510088793.gif
1MB, 785x757px
$50bn into Advanced Shitposting Engineering research

$50bn into the study of memeology
>>
>>8472257
>memeology
memetics you cretin
>>
>>8472112
90bn go into genetically Engineering catgirl Sex slaves or girlfriends

10bn into Augmented Reality, because unlike VR, which is just a Monitor in Front of your eyes, AR is bound with the real World
Imagine playing INSIDE RPGs
Thread posts: 16
Thread images: 2

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.