[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Women in grad school and doctorates

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 15
Thread images: 1

File: genetic testing.jpg (43KB, 824x549px) Image search: [Google]
genetic testing.jpg
43KB, 824x549px
Sorry if this is not a particularly liked subject in /sci/, but I'd like to ask. I'm almost at a point where I can apply for specific programs on the B.S. level. When I was young, I wanted to become a scientist, and if I was capable of doing it, I wouldn't be opposed to doing it (maybe in my later years). However, when looking back at many of my biology classes, I noticed many of my professors were Ph.D's, had done research for some years, and then went into teaching. When I was talking to those professors, one taught entry-level biology, one taught microbiology, and the other taught microbiology (I had to retake microbiology because I could not handle the honors class at the time), that they mentioned having to give up research after a certain point.

A lot of these women were older, with the youngest one having gone into grad school around the age of 24 and a half. My professor did encourage me into considering research when I was talking to her about struggling with some concepts. When I was at a line for an event, I spoke with another female grad student (her study was ophthalmology). A lot of them decided to go out of research once they started having families and they talk about leaving with some pain.

I understand that grad school and beyond is very stressful for everyone, and more or less you have to dedicate your life to it, and I'm not quite cut out for that at this time. But why is that? Why as a society do we have such a narrow focus on upper level academia, with very limited funding? Why is a lot of the medical field very haze-mentality in the way it treats students? Why is grad school so grueling? I know that you might have very strong opinions, but I'd like to ask because I've never viewed it directly, but from afar. Please don't judge; these are very bright women that I know, and they certainly did enjoy their time in academia, but if anyone wanted to give insight about grad school lifestyle or research, it would be appreciated.
>>
>>8470933
It's not a career-asking thread. It's asking about why academia is not conducive to a healthy mental life or personal life.
>>
>>8470928
So which question do you want answered? All we can see is a convoluted blogpost that doesn't get to the point of your query. Mind rephrasing in a few sentences instead?
>>
>>8470939
1. Why does academia get next to no funding?
2. Why is grad school, doctorate school, and medical school so grueling and not conducive to a family life?
3.If you are female and in a stem field, do you feel that your program or focus does not have an anti-maternal attitude?
4. If advanced programs have such a high divorce rate, why does no one seem to care?
>>
>>8470937
so it's your fucking blog?
get lost
>>
>>8470945
1. Because a lot of time spent researching things is spent ruling out ideas. I've been working on my thesis for a year; I didn't make any noteworthy progress for the first 3 months.
2. Because research is tough.
3. Not a chick.
4. Because that's the way it should be; it wouldn't be advanced if anyone could do it.
>>
>>8470945
1) A lot of competition.
2) Because the world doesn't revolve around you. You have to make sacrifices or work your ass off. Often both.
3) Anti-maternal is a meme. Everyone gets that procreation is important, but men can't just take 6 months off (in some countries paid) and then pick up where they left off, why should women.
4) Would you want someone significantly less intelligent or capable than you as your doctor?
>>
>>8470945
1. Because post secondary education has become a parody of itself. All people see are hyphenated Americans protesting the lack of transnigger bathrooms on campus.

2. You don't absolutely need a family, do you? Do you think men who pursue higher education don't make sacrifices? What you're complaining about isn't even an inability to access education, which is a valid concern; you're actually admitting that it takes dedications that you simply don't have.

3. There's no anti-material attitude and I am not female. Also, I've known for a while that this is a troll post.

4. Whatever.
>>
>>8470928
I'm a bit confused about what you're asking. However, I'm a female in a PhD comp bio program. Grad school as a whole doesn't seem too amenable to taking x months off at a time. It kinda sucks to make your PI pay for you to take time off, because that's time they're not publishing anything and you're not moving forward with your experiments. Also science is inherently competitive and someone will gladly pick up work/ideas you aren't pursuing. I've heard the last year of grad school is a good time to have kids because you're doing a lot of writing, which can be done at home. I started grad school at 22, so I'll probably do the kid thing around my last year as well.
>>
>>8470928
It's just the way the system is set up.

If you want a career in academia then you have to accept that you are going to be spending a most of your time trying to get funding and dealing with other shit (eg. teaching undergrads) not related to research. Furthermore, besides the work itself being really hard and more or less never ending (thinking about your research will consume an unhealthy portion of your daily life whereas normal people don't have to think about work at all once they clock out) it also pays shitty and has poor job security (it's very competitive and you can end up out of a job by your 40s).

Anyone career minded who isn't privileged enough to invest a ton of money in a bad job with poor pay and poor job security (if they even manage to land a job in the first place) just because they "really like it" is unlikely to go into academia.
>>
>>8470933
>JUST
what is this /pol/ meme again?
>>
>>8470945
>Why does academia get next to no funding?
This is a relative thing. The problem is the government deliberately cultivates a vast oversupply of qualified people in STEM both to stretch the taxpayer grant dollar further and strengthen industry by pushing down wages. Underfunding is just a natural part of cold war/post-cold war life.

>Why is grad school, doctorate school, and medical school so grueling and not conducive to a family life?
>anti-maternal attitude
You should see Whiplash (2014)
True dedication is an inherently dehumanizing thing.
The sort of people who become scientists are the sort who dedicate themselves to higher and more meaningful pursuits than being baby factories. By all means start a family, but the more competing obligations you take on the less useful you ultimately are and the more likely it is someone with a narrower set of priorities will overtake and outcompete you. Think of an undergrad who prioritizes drinking and partying over studying - you have an edge over him if you have put aside those additional goals of his.

>>8470945
>divorce
Competing priorities, stress, certain difficulties normal people have relating to you
>>
>>8470928
get over it
>>
>>8471289
>You should see Whiplash
This is probably your best bet if you're looking for insight into the lifestyle
>>
This thread was moved to >>>/adv/17758129
Thread posts: 15
Thread images: 1

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.