[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

AMATEUR NUKE REACTOR

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 18
Thread images: 1

File: US3530497_-_Hirsch-Meek_fusor.png (21KB, 312x409px) Image search: [Google]
US3530497_-_Hirsch-Meek_fusor.png
21KB, 312x409px
ITT

I beg anons to teach me about reactors and the feasibility of converting a Farnsworth Fusor into a nuclear reactor.

I'm thinking lead is the best coolant because it doubles as radiation shielding.

Either uranium or thorium is fine. No clue which is cheaper.

I do not know what the most affordable neutron source is, but I would prefer to not need a breeder reactor to save weight.

I also do not know of an affordable neutron absorber that's efficient enough to halt the reaction.

What laws and agency regulates nuclear reactors? Pls help.

Also, which solid form of mass has high compressive strength and is the best at not conducting heat? It needs a high melting point for safety.

Any word on how fusion reactors are progressing?
>>
>>8469236
Fusion is notoriously difficult to keep sustained. But there is a pulse nuclear reactor.

Millions of tons of metal salt in underground insulated silos. Detonate a small fission or fusion bomb, it heats up and melts the metal salts. Then you use a heat exchanger to make electricity.

It might work at smaller scales and less destructive energies.

>nuclear reaction makes heat
>use Carnot cycle to extract work from the heat

There you go.
>>
Also, TRITIUM IS $30,000 A GRAM.

Could you turn a Farnsworth Fusor into a tritium breeder? What purity would you get? How do you refine tritium? Could you make a tritium reactor?

>>8469262

Which heat diffuser is best for space applications? Nuclear power lasts longer than solar panels in radiated parts of space. Too much sunlight deteriorates solar cells as well.

For land applications I was thinking of using boiling lead. Condense it back down after the boil and you've got a coolant that works as a rad shield. Safety first.

Plus lead can solidify and plug leaks on its on depending on the location.
>>
Also, why does Wikipedia know almost nothing about molybdenum carbide??

I'm looking for the lightest and strongest metal with a very high melting point.

Is it a good idea to line the inside of the reaction chamber with refractory metal ceramics?

Its a small reactor.

Very small.
>>
Bump.

Nobody cares about nuclear interactions and subatomic stuff?

Nobody wants to share their knowledge about metallurgy and mysterious molybdenum?
>>
>>8469236
>fusion reactor

never gonna happen without the ability to manipulate gravity
>>
>>8469417
>without the ability to manipulate gravity

what are your mom's current rates?
>>
>>8469236

A Farnsworth Fusor is a nuclear reactor, brainlet. Albeit one that does not produce net power output.
>>
>>8469459

Yea, because they are unshielded and if they produced power you and everything around would die.
>>
>>8469236
Fusors don't make more energy than they use
>>8469468
No anon. Even shielded farnsworth fusors do not produce more power than they consume.

Shielding has nothing to do with it
>>
>>8469411
No one cares because you're a moron
>>
>>8469459
GOOD
NEWS
EVERYONE
>>
>>8469736

You were once a baby that wasn't above fingerpainting with feces.

Now you think you're better than other people.

We all start somewhere.
>>
>>8469807
The OP clearly demonstrates a complete lack of knowledge on the subject. It's not our job to teach the basics.
>>
>>8469236

>I beg anons to teach me about reactors and the feasibility of converting a Farnsworth Fusor into a nuclear reactor.

You're better off figuring out how to get enough radioactive material out of smoke detectors to make your own uranium. Also, the fact that you have to ask how to do this indicates you don't know what you're doing and you should stop before you get hurt. You're also asking /sci/ how to do an objectively /diy/ thing.

Anyway if you want to actually do this, you need to realize that nuclear reactors (like most engines) are at some level the "fusion" (the adjective not the noun!) of chemistry (ie production of heat) and electrical engineering (ie the use of heat to generate electricity). Don't start this project until you have a clear understanding of both. My personal suggestion would be to build your own sterling engine and your own internal combustion engine, while that's not easy (as it also requires you to machine things), it'll give you the hands-on knowledge to approach this project.
>>
>>8469411

>Nobody cares about nuclear interactions and subatomic stuff?
>Nobody wants to share their knowledge about metallurgy and mysterious molybdenum?

step 1: go here

>>>/diy/1081026

step 2: read all the books in the OP

step 3: lurk for a few months

step 4: git gud

Also you should probably look into machining and welding, because those are useful metalworking skills that you'll need unless you're made of money. I'd suggest some autoCAD knowledge as well.
>>
>>8469807
That's why using the parents/siblings as regulators should be the perfect social control strategy. Right?
>>
>>8469272
>Could you turn a Farnsworth Fusor into a tritium breeder?
you would need something like a magnetic mirror or FRC plasma with a combination of closed and open field lines to guide the tritium product out of the reactor. then you could use a metal like zirconium or titanium to trap the tritium as a metal tritide in a solid state for storage
Thread posts: 18
Thread images: 1

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.