[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Perpetual Motion

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 20
Thread images: 1

File: IMG_1627.jpg (320KB, 1500x843px) Image search: [Google]
IMG_1627.jpg
320KB, 1500x843px
So I had an idea. I'm not the most intelligent guy when it comes to physics, but I like to wonder, and I figured I'd ask here. If we built five or six giant poles around the Earth, with a ring balanced on top of them, and then removed all of the poles, would the ring just keep falling around Earth forever? If so, could we hook it up to a dynamo and generate gravity-powered perpetual energy?
>>
>>8467490
the answer is obviously no and i'm much too lazy to even think about why and you should be too
>>
>>8467490
the total force on it would be zero. therefore it wouldnt do anything (regarding earths gravity).
>>
>>8467490
Let's take the problems step by step.
1 Material.
What material could you make this ring with that would be sturdy enough to not just bend/break/stretch? Suppose you have a meter thick steel ring. Its still prone to bend at some point during setting it up.
2 Earths gravity.
Gravity isn't evenly distributed across the planet. Some areas have a higher gravitational pull than others. So one side of the ring will be pulled more strongly than the other.
3 the moon.
The moon would pull on the side of the ring closer to it. Just look at the ocean changes of tide.
And 4
>keep falling around the earth forever
No. Even if 1-3 didn't apply and you had a ring floating around the earth, the act of hooking it up to a dynamo would change its rotational momentum over time until it was the exact same velocity as the earth. And then no energy could be harvested. Or something.

TL;DR wouldn't stay in orbit around earth, couldn't get electricity from it.
>>
>>8467490
Your picture reminded me of Public Enemy's Fear of a Black Planet.
>>
But if the ring was possible (theoretically speaking) wouldn't we be able to consume some of the magnetic energy to generate electric power?
>>
>>8467490
>Perpetual Motion
stopped reading right there

just give up assholes
>>
>>8468264
That was surely a false nomenclature, the ring would use the motion of earth's magnetic field.
By the way, just try to imagine that thing flying above your head on a sunny day, i picture it being astoundingly beautiful.
>>
>>8468285
>would the ring just keep falling around Earth forever?
>false nomenclature

do you even know what perpetual means
>>
>>8467866
tell me, why does the tide get affected by the moon so much?
>>
>>8467866

but we have the technology to transfer energy through electromagnetic radiation without physical connections. if we have the technology to build that ring, we wont need to attach a dynamo.

>>8467499
you sound like an old man.
>>
>>8468289
hes right though, its not a perpetual motion machine.
>>
>>8468308
because it is heavy

>>8468318
why argue about a subject you have absolutely no knowledge of?
in fact why are you on /sci/?

>>8468321
yes, yes it is
>a state in which movement or action is or appears to be continuous and unceasing.
>>
>>8468324

what i said is true though...

its not a perpetual motion machine unless you consider the moon to be one also. dont confuse OPs use of the word perpetual with the concept of a perpetual motion machine... also "appears to be" wont come into the definition for those same reasons. this machine wont necessarily violate laws of thermodynamics.

now go eat some lemons. you are very rude.
>>
>>8468333
>>8468333
"appears to be" is there because perpetual motion is fake

OP's model uses the same principles all the magnetic perpetual motion machines on youtube and shit use

if it doesn't violate laws of thermodynamics then a gajillion dollars and hundreds of engineering years later when this thing is commissioned, it will probably stop in about a few hours
>>
>>8468345

yes i know it cant exist, thats why its not a perpetual motion machine.

t.b.h i never even voiced support for this machine, i just said that it probably is possible to transfer energy without a dynamo and that i agreed with >>8468285 that what the guy describes isnt a perpetual motion machine and he uses false nomenclature. and despite what >>8468285 said, OP's device uses gravity not magnetism, as you can see in the OP.
>>
>build sphere with electromagnets around Earth
>build similar sphere with electromagnets around Moon
>turn magnets on in proper unison
>infinite rotational acceleration
>>
>>8467490
>Watch me post an idea that I'm really married to, with no actual education in the mechanics needed to create it, admit that I have no real understanding of the thing in question, but still argue that it's a good plan.

So, beyond the fact that you're obviously doing the same thing that most people with outlandish, sci-fi ideas does, it really, really isn't feasible, because you can't actually harvest those forces without the basic principles of thermodynamics and entropy coming into play.

Say you have a gigantic dynamo in this ring, as it "falls" around the Earth in a circle. You can't turn that magnetic field into energy without motion, and if you have this huge ring spinning, spoilers: the dynamo's resistance to the magnetic field, which creates the energy, produces drag. It takes actual force to keep it moving, and because your hypothetical ring is balanced around the entire planet, it will eventually slow and stop, that or take more energy to keep in motion with some kind of engine, thus defeating its purpose, as such an object would be so massive that keeping it in motion would probably take so much fuel that it completely offsets the gain.

That is to say nothing of how much fuel and material it would actually take to build the thing in orbit in the first place, because we're talking about something tens of thousands of miles long made of metal, and filled with advanced power-generating equipment. In the end, it's unlikely to pay for itself ever, just on that basis.
>>
>>8467490
Yes and no. Getting something that huge to be stable would be virtually impossible and as you draw potential energy from it you'd be slowing it down so either you'd need to boost it to keep it in orbit, thus negating any benefit of 'perpetual' energy or you'd eventually crash the thing into the Earth.

But the physics is sound. You'd basically be storing energy into it through it's construction that you'd suck off of later. So according to Newtonian physics yes it will work, but the idea is rather silly.
>>
>>8467490
Assuming the ring doesn't buckle from gravitational stress, it'll just float there. It'll also lower the surface gravity of the planet by a factor of the ring's density and increase the planet's gravitational footprint by the same factor. Fuck with it by even a particle, and the delicate balance will be disrupted and it'll tumble down, end over end. Also, since space isn't devoid of particles or things that exert real pressure from impact, the ring would in practicality never stay up for even a second. ALSO, if you were to try to harness some magical energy from the "perpetually falling or not falling" ring, it'd fall.
Thread posts: 20
Thread images: 1

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.