[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Hard problem of consciousness

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 19
Thread images: 3

Does it exist? Can we ever solve it?
>>
>>8465939
what are we solving for?
>>
>>8465947
life, the universe, and everything
>>
>>8465968

garbage in, garbage out
>>
>>8465979
i ate some spaghetti but i shit shit explain that one genius
>>
>>8466074
The spaghetti you ate was shit.
>>>/ck/
>>
>>8465947
If I am not mistaken it feels like I am supposed to understand some Trusting and Savage buddhist philosophy. Dream time is.. el go
>>
>>8465968
42?
>>
>>8466076
no it was my moms spaghetti
never forgetti
>>
>>8466074
Left hand 33001
Law of identities
A
.'. A
>>
>>8465939
Nah, it's too hard
>>
File: solved.png (130KB, 506x455px) Image search: [Google]
solved.png
130KB, 506x455px
It's very simple.
>>
>>8466237

i think our fantastic ability to extract abstract relations creates the illusion of a hard problem when in reality it does not exist and doesn't need to.
>>
File: reality.png (67KB, 403x333px) Image search: [Google]
reality.png
67KB, 403x333px
>>8465939

Qualia's not real, we just have reporting behavior where we're compelled to speak in terms of seeing or hearing things as a useful and fictional shorthand. That's the solution, but nobody wants to believe it because "muh vivid immediacy illusion." Your brain doesn't need to actually conjure up a literal image, it just needs to make you believe that's what it's doing and that's enough to get you to behave in the way we do where we can speak and act in terms of our sensory input at a higher level than mere instinctual reflex.
>>
>>8465939
Just black box that fucker
>>
>>8467453
Yes but you're forgetting about differentiation and similarities of the color "red", i.e. pattern recognition as part of the solution. The input of the color red into our retina triggers in addition to verbal output, memory output, object associations, movement output such as stopping, and so on. Is it this burst of activity that trigger us to say "this feels red"? Then the problem is one of what is the self. Is it also a set of physical reactions?
>>
>>8467481

> you're forgetting about differentiation and similarities of the color "red", i.e. pattern recognition as part of the solution

None of that contradicts what I wrote.

>Is it this burst of activity that trigger us to say "this feels red"?

Yes.

>Then the problem is one of what is the self.

"Self" is another useful, abstract fiction.

>Is it also a set of physical reactions?

Basically. The physical reactions are what actually exist, but they're not identical with the abstract fictions they make references to. A good analogy is a magic trick. The abstract fiction is like the illusion of having sawed a lady in half while the physical reactions are like the unseen maneuvers the magician engages in to make that illusion work. The way a magician makes an illusion work isn't the same as the illusion. The illusion doesn't really exist at all and the real things the magician does to misdirect you are the explanation for the illusion, which is different from saying these real things the magician does are what the illusion is.
>>
>>8467505
>"Self" is another useful, abstract fiction.
No, I'm saying what are the physical set of actions that constitute the self. There's use of "I, me, my, my name," but what else? There's also self recognition and being able to tell if a picture you see is you, video playing has you in it, the thing you see in a mirror is you even if you wear a different costume everyday. What else is there? This is important because if you can come up with a list of those actions and implement them in a machine, then you got your self a bonafide a.i.
But yes, I agree with you that qualia is a load of bullshit that was pushed by that hack "philosopher" chalmers.
>>
>>8467453

So it's real even when not real? This all sounds like a veiled concession. What does conjuring this biobabble change?

>>8467505

What relevance would the supposed "real" underpinnings of our "illusory" experience have? Not that anyone can identify them, let alone claim causal links between the two. Just as a thought experiment - this comment doesn't exist, the Magician known as your monitor employs a devious trick wherein light-emitting diodes manifest a devious scheme, at its totally Material but simultaneously totally Magical sleight of hand, a meaningless string of ones and zeros is transformed into a slight tingle on the nape of your neck. Can you break the spell?
Thread posts: 19
Thread images: 3

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.