[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Why dont melting Icebergs lower the sea level?

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 17
Thread images: 1

File: iceberg-007.jpg (3MB, 5800x3990px) Image search: [Google]
iceberg-007.jpg
3MB, 5800x3990px
I just thought of this,and sorry if it 's a stupid question.

But if ice is less dense than water,and most of an iceberg is below water,then doesnt that mean that the sea level should be lowering?
>>
>>8465125
The volume of ice underwater is the volume it would take up if it was water so when it melts the sea level stays the same.

Icebergs melting won't affect sea level, ice on land that melts and flows into the sea will affect it.
>>
m8 sea levels are rising because increased temperature > greater expansion of water.

That's why
>>
>>8465125
The volume of water displaced by the mass of the iceberg isn't dependent on anything but its weight (mass). Neither raises nor lowers sea level when it melts.
>>
>>8465174
I thought water was incompressible ?
>>
>>8465173
it takes up same volume???
isnt water denser?
>>8465177
yeah thanks for clarifying
>>
>>8465217
Only the ice underwater takes up the same volume as the same mass of water, the bit poking out the top is the excess volume.
>>
>>8465200
compressiblity is a function of pressure not temperature.
>>
Feel free to experiment with a glass odd water, some ice cubes, and a marker pen.
Oh, and a tiny polar bear of course.
>>
>>8465125
FRESHWATER < SALTWATER
>>
the mass the water displaced by the iceberg is equivalent to the mass of the entire iceberg; therefore when it all melts into the water the space that the melted water will take up has already been raised by the berg. try this by placing ice in a bowl of water; when the ice melts the water will not rise - it already has
>>
>>8465297
okay holy fuck,i got it.

But doesnt that mean that water levels shouldnt rise at all?
or is it like another anon said,that the ice on land that's melting is causing the rise
>>
>>8465310
The north pole ice doesnt matter since its all suspended in water already

What you need to worry about is stuff like greenland and antarctic ice which is sitting on land
>>
>>8465310
Also need to take into consideration that water expands when heated, so global warming makes it take up more volume (sea level rise)
>>
>>8465200
Everything is compressible if you try hard enough
>>
>>8465310
Also, when large amounts of ice melt away the crust that was beneath it begins to rise because the upper mantle is somewhat spongy and springy, and a large mass is no longer pushing it down. This obviously happens on a much longer time scale than the other factors, but it will eventually result in water being pushed away from the poles and down to the equator as the Earth becomes a marginally less oblate spheroid.
>>
>>8466844
What happens to shit when it goes into a black hole? Is it compressed into what's known as 'black matter' or it does some quantum shit and its coding turns into a void number or some shit? Soz, I'm a young, dumb fag
Thread posts: 17
Thread images: 1

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.