[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Hi /sci/ if our universe is always expanding is there a centre

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 17
Thread images: 4

File: 2016-11-10-01-01-14-2036142497.jpg (11KB, 235x214px) Image search: [Google]
2016-11-10-01-01-14-2036142497.jpg
11KB, 235x214px
Hi /sci/ if our universe is always expanding is there a centre point?
Also if its expanding will it eventually reach a point where it collapses on itself? Could it be possible that there was possibly another universe before us and the big bang was caused by the universe collapsing, not being able to expand any further?
>>
No center point. Any finite amount of space is expanding. Infinite space is becoming less matter-dense.

Space is expanding beyond the escape velocity of the gravity of all matter in the universe, there will be no big crunch.
>>
>center point
No
>Collapse
No
>Cyclic Universe
No

The universe is infinite, now take time to understand what the word "infinite" means, and how it applies to this context.
>>
File: great attractor.jpg (143KB, 750x1187px) Image search: [Google]
great attractor.jpg
143KB, 750x1187px
>is there a centre point?
all mass has a center
>>
>>8464878
Locally, not the overall structure of the universe.
>>
>>8464814
if you could put the universe into a tube you'd end up with a very long tube,probably extending twice the size of the universe because when you collapse the universe it expands and uhhh, you wouldn't want to put it into a tube

picture a hot dog bun and throw all the stars, the hundreds of stars that there are in the universe into a bag and put the inverse into a bag and all of a sudden they become, um... when i was a child there was thought to be 9 planets but there are now ninety planets you know the ultimate fate of the universe is so dark and mysterious that it generates butterflies in my stomach and that goes to tickles in my spine and that creates goose pimples and then that penetrates my mind and then the whole big bang explos.

stars can be fun a lot of people say don, uh, you get so wrapped up in the physics of it don't you have any fun? i say well, i go up and i look at the stars through my telescope and i see the little dipster, or i see the big dipster every star has its, has a sister star, a little bit like two eyeballs you can imagine, if, if, you could see the other side of my eyeball you'd see a 360 degree eyeball
>>
>>8464885
*gives reddit gold*
>>
File: Star Wars Mickey.jpg (7KB, 255x198px) Image search: [Google]
Star Wars Mickey.jpg
7KB, 255x198px
>>8464814
>is there a centre point?
Of course (and you're there)
>>
>>8464861
>The universe is infinite,
Not trolling here, genuinely curious, has this been finally decided?

Another question about this, I heard it said that spacetime is curved, and if you travelled far enough in a straight line you'd return to where you started. Is this correct, or not, if so, does it imply the universe isn't infinite? Or can the universe still be infinite if spacetime is curved... Infinite but curved on itself... I think I just burst a blood vessel in my head.
>>
>>8465446
I believe that most cosmological models take the universe to have finite volume (but no proper boundary, think e.g. to a 4-dimensional analogue of a sphere)
>>
>>8464942
>being this fucking new
>>
File: theuniverse.png (10KB, 536x253px) Image search: [Google]
theuniverse.png
10KB, 536x253px
>>8464814
The central point of the expansion is impossible fo reach because the universe would already end before you could get to it.More importantly there are other universes somewhere beyond the unobservable horizon but completely alien physics from ours because the fundamental particles would be very different from ours. These other universes are in reality our universe but sections of it seperated from us due to the expansion caused by dark energy.

The yellow ball is our universe or the observable universe, the blackness that surround it is an area of space that is devoid of any matter indicating that all the matter during the big bang must have split off in multiple directions where as our part of the universe is one matter space assuming the big bang went in every direction there are possibly 20 matter spaces that exist in total in the universe.

However these matter spaces are seperated by vast distances and ever finding them will prove to be impossible due to the time it would take to get to one.
>>
>>8465474
I've never even heard this nonsense before, good job
>>
>>8464814
The universe was a singularity before the big bang, which is a mathematical point.
The universe was it own center.
So, the whole universe is the center.
>>
>>8465446
>define relative

When referring to the curvature of the universe, we are not strictly referring to the curvature of spacetime at specific points. Spacetime can still be curved in a flat universe. Spacetime is curved by energy density. Say we call the energy density which represents a flat universe A. In other terms, A is the value you get if the energy density of the universe is the same everywhere. If the average energy density we observe is less than A, the geometry of the universe can be described as hyperbolic. If the energy density we observe is greater than A, the universe is spherical.

Here, "hyperbolic" and "spherical" are referring to geometries. Normally, we work with "Euclidean" geometry.

All of our data points towards a flat universe with a very small margin of error.
>>
>>8465484
Our part of the universe is just one matter space or an area where matter exist in the universe, most of the universe is an unexplainable black something that exists everywhere, matter sits in this something.
>>
It would help if you knew some differential geometry, honestly.
Look into abstract surfaces and consider this: when a surface expands, points become farther apart. Similarly, if a metric function measures points as being farther and farther from each other, then this may be seen as expansion. Apply this to a 3 dimensional surface in 4 dimensional space.
Thread posts: 17
Thread images: 4

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.