[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

What Calculus Book Should I Choose?

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 8
Thread images: 1

File: StewartPrecalc.jpg (56KB, 391x499px) Image search: [Google]
StewartPrecalc.jpg
56KB, 391x499px
I recently finished James Stewart's Precalculus, I know I should move onto calculus but I'm not sure which book to use. I was wondering if any of you could give recommendations based of your experience with a certain book, thank you all in advance.
>>
you could just stay the course and stick with stewart, but he's pretty unpopular here because his calculus text isn't an analysis text in disguise.
>>
>>8464263
I've heard plenty of people on this board say that Stewart's book is not good if you are studying math for math and nothing else, is this true or is it just a lie? Would it be best for me to use this as some sort of introduction to calculus the use another text that is more proof based than application based?
>>
>>8464276
I learned Calculus with Stewart's book. Is it good enough? Yes, sure. Are there better books? Definitely.
>>
>>8464259
Personally like Salas/Hille/Etgen. Better layout, superior conceptual explanation, problem sets.

Stewart's not bad overall, but everyone has their favorite.
>>
>>8464259
You learn calculus from doing problems, not from reading a book. Once you realize this, stewart is fine. It has more problems than any other book. Do them.

There are better books for reading and crystallizing your understanding later on. You'll find them. Do problems first.
>>
>>8464259

Depends on what kind of student you are

>>Single Variable Calculus
>Intro/primer
"Calculus Made Easy" by Silvanus Thompson and Martin Gardner
"The Manga Guide to Calculus" by Hiroyuki Kojima and Shin Togami

>Weak Students
"Calculus: An Intuitive and Physical Approach" (Dover) by Morris Kline (Very hand hold'y)
"Calculus With Analytic Geometry" by George Simmons (Lots of history)
"Elementary Calculus: An Infinitesimal Approach" by Jerome Keisler (Uses infinitesimals)
"A First Course in Calculus" by Serge Lang

>Strong Students
"Calculus" by Spivak (Good mathematical exposition, poor motivation, no applications)
"Calculus, Vol. 1: One-Variable Calculus, with an Introduction to Linear Algebra" by Apostol (Good motivation and problems)
"Introduction to Calculus and Analysis, Volume I" by Richard Courant and Fritz John (Good motivation and applications, very difficult problems)
Differential and Integral Calculus by the Russian mathematician N.S. Piskunov (hard to come by)

>Classic References
"A Course of Pure Mathematics" by G. H. Hardy
"Introduction to Analysis of the Infinite", "Foundations of Differential Calculus", "Foundations of Integral Calculus" by Leonhard Euler

>>Multivariable and Vector Calculus
>Weak
"Div, Grad, Curl, and All That: An Informal Text on Vector Calculus" by Schey
"Calculus of Several Variables" by Serge Lang

>Intermediate
"Calculus, Vol. 2: Multi-Variable Calculus and Linear Algebra with Applications to Differential Equations and Probability" by Apostol
"Introduction to Calculus and Analysis, Volume II" by Richard Courant and Fritz John

>Advanced
"Advanced Calculus of Several Variables" (Dover Book) by C. H. Edwards Jr.
"Advanced Calculus: A Geometric View" by Callahan
"Vector Calculus, Linear Algebra and Differential Forms: A Unified Approach" by Hubbard and Hubbard
"Advanced Calculus: A Differential Forms Approach" by Harold M. Edwards
"Advanced Calculus" by Shlomo Zvi Sternberg and Lynn Harold Loomis (H-A-R-D)
>>
>>8464318
Bumping. Is this really holds accurate?
Thread posts: 8
Thread images: 1

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.