[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

What is the best way to tackle any vector calculus question?

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 13
Thread images: 1

File: theorem1.jpg (76KB, 822x351px) Image search: [Google]
theorem1.jpg
76KB, 822x351px
What is the best way to tackle any vector calculus question?

With the extensive list of theorems (Green's, Stokes', etc.), and "shortcuts" (conservative ⟹ path independence, etc.), there must be a type of flow chart for tackling vector calculus problems.

Are there any general rules of thumb that I should be aware of throughout my semester? My lecturer has provided us with all the theorems and how to apply them, but they just seem so disconnected. With the final exam approaching, what should my thought process be during the exam?
>>
Dude that notation sucks and green's is just stokes
>>
>>8464200
Which notation?
I know Green's is just the 2D version of Stokes'.
But what I'm asking is if there's some sort of flowchart of list of steps to check when I see any VC problem.
>>
>>8464199
pls halp I be retard.

I only know the normal integral. When will I see those crazy integrals my man?
>>
>>8464217
In vector calculus. The double integral not as hard as it seems
>>
>>8464217
Multivariate calc is where you see double and triple integrals. All the other notation in image related is vector notation that you see in vector calc.
>>
>>8464199
>curl
>div
I seriously hope you guys don't do this
>>
>>8464199
There's only one theorem and that's is

[math] \int_{\Omega} \rm {d} \omega = \int_{\partial \Omega} \omega [/math]
>>
>>8464323
and Stokes is its prophet
>>
>>8464199
>flowchart
such approaches will not benefit your understanding of mathematics. analysis is not the study of algorithms to solve analysis problems.

instead focus on what the various theorems mean physically and geometrically. this subject is closely tied to electromagnetism, maybe read up on that.

in all honesty, multiple integration and total derivatives are hardly used outside of that class.
>>
>>8464312
Unfortunately we do and I disagree with it.
The notation is literally harder to write than what it stands for lol.

>>8464323
I have no idea what this means lol.

>>8464332
Thanks for the tip. I've just done a shitload of example questions and I think I have a basic strategy anyway. Basically just want to pass the exam and don't really care about the physics of it. I'm majoring in pure mathematics anyway.
>>
>>8464350
>I have no idea what this means lol.
It's (the real) Stokes' theorem. Basically the generalized fundamental theorem of calculus
>>
>>8464350
>>8464357
If you are still doing the calculus sequence it will take some time to get to this generalisation. Dont worry.
Thread posts: 13
Thread images: 1

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.