[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

How naturally talented do you have to be in math to become a

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 14
Thread images: 2

File: pic8_b.jpg (2MB, 1261x1200px) Image search: [Google]
pic8_b.jpg
2MB, 1261x1200px
How naturally talented do you have to be in math to become a physicist? Is a desire to work extremely hard worth anything, and could it be used to compensate?

I'm a 26-year-old MD/PhD (currently doing PhD in computational biology) thinking of quitting my MD/PhD to pursue a career in theoretical physics. I've always been interested in math, and I loved physics, but I was never stellar in either subject. I had to work hard, mostly because I rarely knew how to limit myself and often wanted to know exactly how things worked rather than accepting simplified explanations.

>pic obviously related
>>
bamp
>>
if you do this you are quite retarded.
at least finish your phd before getting assraped by theoretical physics and killing yourself
>>
>>8464102
>getting assraped by theoretical physics and killing yourself

Is it really that bad?
>>
>>8464012
I mean, the answer to your first question is: not a lot. Sure, if you struggle at the very basic mathematical concepts, you'll have a hard time studying physics - but apart from that, just sit on your hairy arse and practice, as most of us did. There's nothing that you'll encounter in physics that you couldn't overcome by putting effort (=time) in it.
>>
>>8464126
if the degree doesn't kill you, the job market will.
>>
>>8464012
What makes you think that youd be accepted to a PhD program in physics?

Not trolling, genuinely curious
>>
>>8464012
Prove that an integral domain containing a finite number of ideals is a field.
If you can't solve this (basic abstract algebra), then you're too dumb for theoretical physics.
>>
>>8464012
You will do a lot better in computational biology or biophysics. Theoretical physics is a meme for professors and not much else.
>>
>>8464012
btw theoretical physics is amazing to read about but a pain to work on. I mean it. Don't quit your phd for it.
>>
>>8464804
I don't know any abstract algebra.

>>8464806
>>8464808
Hm. This is worth considering. Theoretical physics sure is interesting to read, but I suppose theory is more interesting than actual work (just like many subjects out there).
Welp, guess I'll stick to my lowly PhD.
>>
>>8464804
Why is this board so full of elitists
>>
>>8465085
it is all they have
>>
File: Kristen-Bell.gif (2MB, 225x225px) Image search: [Google]
Kristen-Bell.gif
2MB, 225x225px
>>8465181
That's not true, some of us have full scholarships, too.
Thread posts: 14
Thread images: 2

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.