[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Can you microwave ice cubes or will they explode?

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 14
Thread images: 1

File: ice cubes.jpg (11KB, 300x260px) Image search: [Google]
ice cubes.jpg
11KB, 300x260px
So my apartment water is shut off for a few hours. I'm thirsty and don't have anything to drink, but, I have two ice cube trays. Can I microwave ice cubes? I've heard they can explode in a microwave but idk if that's true...
>>
>>8463457
Yea sure, why not just also place them onto a metal pot and heat that with a stove-top burner, like one would normally boil water?
>>
>>8463459
unfortunately I only have one pot and it's dirty. And I can't clean it because no water to clean with :(
>>
>put ice cubes in a clean glass
>put glass on top of or near a heat source (body, PC, heater, lamp)
>drinkable cold water
>>
So after doing some more research it didn't look like they explode, although pure water can sometimes explode in a microwave. However, the microwave also can't heat ice cubes, only water.
So I'm microwaving them in a ceramic coffee mug, the mug heats up and melts the ice a bit but it takes a while just to get a cup of water... oh well, works for now and my apartment water should be back on in like 2 hours
>>
>>8463479
My heat vents are all high up near the ceiling. I have a laptop that doesn't generate tons of heat. My lightbulbs are all flourescent. And yeah I was just holding the cup trying to heat it with body heat but that's not as effective as you'd think, it was going very slow
>>
>>8463457
Put them in your mouth and let them melt.
>>
Mix it with table salt or crush to increase surface for faster melting.
>>
>>8463596

>Mix it with table salt
wouldnt reccomend that...
bassically because you want to drink it
>>
>>8463457
Ice doesn't absorb microwaves very well. In order to melt the ice cubes you need to add water
>>
>>8463457
Don't use the microwave, it causes radiation.

The best way is to use solar!! You can buy sun dried ice cubes at your local Whole Foods.
>>
>>8463484
>although pure water can sometimes explode in a microwave

I use the microwave to boil a mug of water for tea 2-3 times a day and it does explode sometimes. It happens the most with my double walled borosilicate mug after I've scrubbed and cleaned it real good and smooth. I think its because the clean glass has no or few nucleation sites and the water becomes super heated. It'll sit still till it's disturbed, then boil quickly and vigorously in such a way that it looks like it's exploding. I just drop a spoon in and stand back when this happens.
>>
>>8463457
Go buy a bottle of water, stupid.
>>
>>8463457
Just put it in your body, it will melt.
Thread posts: 14
Thread images: 1

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.