[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Unclear physics in Battlefield 1

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 13
Thread images: 2

File: Untitled.png (1MB, 1576x890px) Image search: [Google]
Untitled.png
1MB, 1576x890px
So I've been playing the new battlefield 1 and got somewhat interested in zeppilins (I've always figured it was kinda stupid as one could just puncture the balloon and it would go down).

So apparantly it was not quite that simple, the hydrogen was kept in separate cells where the airship would remain aloft even if a great number of cells were punctured.

In Battlefield you get to traverse the inside of one such ship, where I assume that the hydrogen is kept within the metallic containers. I kinda got stuck however, cause it really seems to me like these containers hang from a simple joint from the roof.

Anyone else played this game and gotten confused by this? Did DICE fail basic physics? Are those not the hydrogen compartments?

You can see a gif of the same situation here:
http://i.imgur.com/YHqr7zq.gifv
>>
My problem of course is that they hang, shouldnt they rather push upwards due to generating lift?
>>
Why couldn't they push from where they are hanging if the structure is rigid enough?
>>
>>8462263
It's a videogame, of course it isn't accurate. This 'airship' was probably designed by people with art degrees
>>8462309
It is a consequence of using a penalty based physics engine.
>>
>>8462322
You sound like you know what's what where can I read up on different kinds of physics engines.
>>
>>8462332
Read anything by Erwin Coumans and Roy Featherstone

Bulletphysics.org
Royfeatherstone.org
>>
Those tanks are certainly not used for floating. Maybe water storage or ballast.

The hydrogen works like a balloon - it is in a very large, very light, mostly empty chamber.
>>
File: cdc[2].jpg (45KB, 546x366px) Image search: [Google]
cdc[2].jpg
45KB, 546x366px
>>8462346
thanks, anon
>>
>>8462263
The history of Zeppelins is pretty fascinating. They were initially air fortresses in ww1 because bullets did jack shit to them, the hydrogen cells would continue to provide lift if even if punctured.

But then the british figured out if you used incendiary rounds, the hydrogen, when mixed with oxygen after being punctured, would catch on fire.

gg Zeps
>>
>>8462366
why not use helium zeppelins then?
>>
>>8462369
Probably not worth the cost.
>>
>>8462369

There was no easy method to extract the required volumes. Nowadays we could build completely safe zepplins, but aircraft exist and people still remember the Hindenberg disaster so there's no market for them.
>>
>>8462309
Air to air collision.
Thread posts: 13
Thread images: 2

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.