[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Why did /sci/ get interested in sciences?

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 18
Thread images: 3

File: Tyson-Ballou-13.jpg (24KB, 387x523px) Image search: [Google]
Tyson-Ballou-13.jpg
24KB, 387x523px
How did the curiosity come to you?

Why did you go into the STEM field?

What got you to be versed in mathematics, physics, and other sciences?
>>
I'm not interested in science
>>
I'm not into STEM
>>
File: 1473960908426.jpg (108KB, 500x667px) Image search: [Google]
1473960908426.jpg
108KB, 500x667px
>>8460182
I assed myself: "Why does butts exist?"
>>
I hate science desu but it puts milk in the cupboards
>>
i went to a technical high school, so I was exposed to electromagnetism and electronics since I was 12. started electrical engineering last year, now i want to do physics and/or math too.
>>
When i was 5 i wanted to be an ice-cream truck driver. When i was 6 i wanted to be a scientist. I really dont know where it originated. Probably the allure of the seemingly supernatural, discovery channel, idk. But i was reinforced ever since then because my parents were happy about me wanting to do science. Since then i remember always being fascinated by science or anything that describes the world

Heart was set on chemistry as i entered highschool for whatever reason.

AP Chem (shit teacher lost all interest)
AP Physics (best teacher i have ever had)
AP Bio (shit teacher)
Calc BC (so-so teacher, not passionate at all)
AP Psych (loved it kickass teacher)

Applied for college undecided between Physics, Pyschology, and Philosophy. Knew i wanted to forever learn about all three. Which of these is toughest to learn on my own i thought, so physics it was.

Got to college and had some amazing math teachers, added math as a minor. Took more math classes, interest continued, so now i am a double major in physics and math. Physics teachers great too. No ragrets. I love both subjects equally. I have friends and do extra curriculars to satisfy the philosophy and psych desires.

>What got you to be versed in mathematics, physics, and other sciences?
Education? Not really sure what you're getting at here.
>>
>>8460456
TL;DR

Passionate/quality teachers.
>>
>>8460182
I grew up in a town where the aerospace industry is big as the only child in a poor family. Once I realized that these engineers were making more money than both of my parents combined, I decided to go that route. The best part is that it turns out that engineering is pretty fun.

t. aerospace engineer in my hometown
>>
>>8460182
A few things. One is the desire to make money by working at a real job which frequently requires math. Next is the fact that I just got sick and tired of being paralyzed by fear stemming from ignorance in this realm. I guess I wanted to build confidence and improve my self esteem. Finally, I was inspired by science fiction to start studying so that I can become more like these characters that I admire. Characters like Victor Frankenstein and Captain Nemo. It's sort of a childhood dream of mine to be real world inventor recluse. Unfortunately, I most likely lack the necessary genius.
>>
>>8460182
When I was about 12 I stumbled upon Logical Positivist philosophy, which led me to formal logic and mathematics.
>>
>>8460182
I started in Philosophy and Linguistics at uni and it was a fucking meme course, so I changed to bio then biomedical science
>>
Always told people I wanted to grow up to be a scientist since I was 3.

>>8460238
[spoiler]shopped[/spoiler]
>>
File: maxresdefault.jpg (227KB, 1920x1080px) Image search: [Google]
maxresdefault.jpg
227KB, 1920x1080px
>>8460182
I watched too much cyberpunk anime. It made electronics and programming look awesome so I taught myself, won some scholarships, went into engineering.
>>
>>8460182
>>8460182
I wanted to be a scientist since I was a child - probably around seven or eight. Even before, I was running around my neighborhood with a geological field guide, collecting samples, and other things.

There is no feeling superior to the euphoria experienced at the moment of a realization or discovery.

The larger the epiphany, the greater the euphoria and the longer the duration.

Also, I am highly competitive and want to know everything worth knowing. I don't like to have an interest, and depend on second hand knowledge, second hand experience. I want to have my own findings and have others verify those. I want to push mankind in a direction I consider suitable - not via the dreadfully boring interpersonal relations of politics, but with the nature of my research and the soundness of my findings.

Personally, I most enjoy dealing in abstracts, and the larger and more complex the abstraction the more interesting I find it, and the more obsessive I become about comprehending it.

You can deal in abstractions in other fields sure.

But in Physics I find the challenges which most excite me.

(However, I do have other interests as well - genetics, geology, toxicology, linguistics, philosophy, etc.,.)
>>
It's magic.
>>
Is going into science still worth it at 22, or should I just go to med school.
>>
>>8461338

just go into math econ and then go into finance so you can make big buxx
Thread posts: 18
Thread images: 3

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.