[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Help with Goldbach Conjecture

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 16
Thread images: 4

File: i am dumb.gif (1024KB, 218x228px) Image search: [Google]
i am dumb.gif
1024KB, 218x228px
>Every even integer greater than 2 can be expressed as the sum of two primes.

Since any prime cannot be even numbers, they have to be odd numbers. Odd numbers can be represented using "2n + 1".

So for any 2 primes we can have an even number because 2k + 1 + 2n + 1 = 2(k + n + 1)

now tell me why i am absolutely wrong...
>>
File: smug beta tester.jpg (41KB, 400x337px) Image search: [Google]
smug beta tester.jpg
41KB, 400x337px
>>8459694

>proof is left to the reader
>>
That doesn't prove that all even numbers can be written as the sum of two odd primes, it just proves that two odd primes always sum to an even number.
>>
>>8459726

>odd primes

do even primes even exist?
>>
File: akarin is sad desu desu des.jpg (174KB, 1083x720px) Image search: [Google]
akarin is sad desu desu des.jpg
174KB, 1083x720px
>>8459735

fuck, 2 is the one and only even prime

motherfucker 2(TWO) [spoiler]proof by counterexample is a bitch[/spoiler]
>>
>>8459694
>now tell me why i am absolutely wrong...
congratulations, you showed that the sum of too odd numbers gives an even one. now move on to calculus 1.
>>
>>8459754

>boohooo im projecting inferiority
>>
>>8459694
>2(k + n + 1)

Congratulations, you found a nice expression

Now prove that this expression generates every single even number.

And before you get smart remember your constraints:

k is such that 2k + 1 is prime
n is such that 2n + 1 is prime

If k and n are free variables then obviously 2(k+n+1) generate every even number but what if you restrict k and n.
>>
>>8459782

so the problem boils down to can i show that for any even number i can find n and k such that their respective odd number is also a prime?

okay so now that is a big problem because I am pretty sure that there is yet a way to freely generate a prime number of any size.
>>
File: theory_of_numbers..jpg (71KB, 638x1000px) Image search: [Google]
theory_of_numbers..jpg
71KB, 638x1000px
>>8459797
>problem boils down to can i show that for any even number i can find n and k such that their respective odd number is also a prime?
the fuck is wrong with you?
are you 12?

this whole thread is pants-on-head preschool retardation. if you actually want to "work" on the conjecture, I recommend pic related. work through it chapter by chapter doing all the exercises.
I would reserve at least two years to get through that. after that you can decide if you want to dedicate the rest of your life doing prime number shit
>>
>>8459878

im retarded, but what are you actually trying to say
>>
It might be easer to prove that for any n > 1 there exists at least one k such that n+k and n-k are both prime where 0<=k<n
>>
"The sum of two odd primes is always an even integer"
This is what you're saying and it is true.

"Every even integer is the sum of two odd primes"
This is the Goldbach conjecture.

The first does not imply the second.
>>
>>8461066
>The first does not imply the second.
but it might, because every tautologically true statement implies every other tautologically true statement :^)
>>
>>8459694
Here I have an easier problem for you OP. Prove that every odd number greater than 5 is the sum of 3 primes.

If you get stuck, here is the solution

https://arxiv.org/abs/1312.7748
>>
>>8459694
Which movie is this scene from?
Thread posts: 16
Thread images: 4

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.