[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

What is the science behind the musical theory? If there is any

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 14
Thread images: 2

File: IMG_3359.jpg (265KB, 1546x1208px) Image search: [Google]
IMG_3359.jpg
265KB, 1546x1208px
What is the science behind the musical theory? If there is any
>>
>>8459496
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cyW5z-M2yzw
>>
>>8459499
Thanks
>>
An ancient Greek Numerological construct.
>>
>>8459496
lookup the phemonology of music and husserl, i would post a link but 4chan flags everything as spam
>>
>>8459496
I think there's quite none. At least no more than in language.

Yeah, things like harmonics (and therefore just intervals) amaze people to think that there's real science behind. But we never hear them in contemporary equitempered music for one, and we're fine because there's no science, we just like sounds we hear the most (and harmonics you hear _constantly_ due to sound's nature).

>>8459499
This video is too shallow on content, and connection between measure theory and music is made up. Cringe.
>>
>>8460945
>we never hear them in contemporary equitempered music
*as notes themselves, of course we hear them as overtones
>>
>>8460945
>>8460950
Cringe.
>>
>>8459496
modal music is what we've been listening to for centuries. It's what we expect to here, and it's why all the popular music is the same
>>
File: raptor.png (103KB, 434x258px) Image search: [Google]
raptor.png
103KB, 434x258px
>>8460945
but "why" do you like those sounds, assuming you hear car horns constantly and dislike that, but also hear sounds from nature constantly like a bird singing and think it sounds good. Its not just that we hear a sound a lot and come to like it, but that there is a defining element for what good sounds are that develops as society evolves.
>>
>>8460990
Subconscious association of the single perceptions of the senses with the overall judgement on a situation and a bit of hard wiring from natural selection.

You don't like car horns because they are associated with the stress of traffic on top of being loud and sudden which is from the start a no-no for our brains' primal elaboration of sorroundings.
>>
>>8459496
http://andrewduncan.net/cmt/

https://eev dot ee /blog/2016/09/15/music-theory-for-nerds/

now go away
>>
>>8460990
>>8462044
Two sine waves of two different frequencies when added together will produce a beat at the difference of those frequencies. The basis of harmony is adding frequencies whose difference beats form a sub-harmonic an octave below one of them, then the next desirable interval is derived by forming a sub at the interval of those original two frequencies (a perfect fifth iirc), etc., or at least as close as possible in equal temp.

The reason an octave down is important here is that it will be half the frequency of the original tone, reinforcing it instead of causing any perceptible dissonance.

The higher and closer to sine waves the two tones are, the more tolerable the difference beat will be, allowing more harmonic possibilities in higher registers.

I read a pretty in depth paper on this a while back, might be able to dig it up again if anyone's interested.
>>
>>8462054
And there it is
>>8462051
Thread posts: 14
Thread images: 2

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.