[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Lactose Intolerance

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 18
Thread images: 1

File: milk.png (100KB, 572x319px) Image search: [Google]
milk.png
100KB, 572x319px
Why is Lactose Intolerance the default position in mammals*?

Milk is the ONLY food source that exists PURELY to be a food source. Why then would it be advantageous to develop a gene that PREVENTS you from having that food source? What good is that?

Clearly in modern times, its advantageous to be able to consume milk, so why did LI evolve in the first place?

*Ability to digest lactose only evolved ~ 5-10 000 years ago in Eurasia (during agricultural era). Most humans on the planet are lactose intolerant.
>>
It's probably to separate the offspring from their mother. Animals always go for the easiest food source available, so that gene prevents offspring from becoming complete parasites to their mother.
>>
Everyone has the gene that codes for lactase (the enzyme that digest lactose). Everyone as a baby can drink milk from mother.

The reason why, is that humans were hunters back then. Why would you waste aminoacids and other nutritients to produce enzymes you had no use for? People were not drinking milk back then because there were no milk or domestic animals! Bigger civilizations saw it as savage to drink milk, it was viewn like drinking the urine from an animal.

The trait of not having a reduced production of lactase started in the british islands and eurasia actually. The non-romans called brits had no food and were the only ones desperate and savage enough to drink milk.
>>
>>8458789
>Milk is the ONLY food source that exists PURELY to be a food source.
There are other reasons to use milk, but sure it's main reason is for food.

>Why then would it be advantageous to develop a gene
I don't think you understand how gene mutations and natural selection works, it's not always advantageous.

You can buy lactose-free milk, it still has all the proteins except lactose is broken down to galactose and glucose.

No one decided to just get lactose intolerant.
>>
>>8458789
>Ability to digest lactose only evolved
But some scientist says that, still, milk is bad for your digestive system.
It was some Japanese doctor who examined bowels who said this.
>>
>>8458806
>t. lactose intolerant
>>
>>8458789
>that brazil
>that south america
Where the fuck do retards get such good pieces of bad information as this?
>>
>>8458806
>Bigger civilizations saw it as savage to drink milk, it was viewn like drinking the urine from an animal.
This sounds silly to me. Why would anyone think that? Food is food, if people back then ate all manner of things, from chicken legs, eyeballs, etc. milk seems tame.

All this "milk is savage" seems to be butthurt propaganda from lactose intolerants to me lel
>>
>>8458810
For example, I am lactose intolerant and I am sure that there are many people that are lactose intolerant without even knowing it.

I tolerate up to 5-6 glasses of milk on one day, and my stomach can feel very bad if I eat a lot of ice cream. I did a self-test where they compared my DNA with a DNA-library of those who are lactose intolerant to see if I share the same genetic sequence that stands for lactose intolerance. The result showed that I indeed shared it.

So how can I be lactose intolerant and still being able to digest milk?
Lactose intolerance stands for a reduced production of the enzyme lactase, it does not necessarily mean that my interior does not produce this enzyme anymore. It is just less which means that all of the lactose (if I eat a lot lactose) wont be digested. Thusly, it can damage my intestinal
>>
>>8458820
>>8458810
Not sure how you see this as butthurt. I can digest lactose without problems.

Either way, my main argument of why this enzyme is advantegous is humans were hunters, diary animals were not domestic and not breeded to produce enough milk. Hence there were no milk and thus no reason to waste resources on producing that enzyme.
To sum up, you saved resources not producing it as a hunter with no domestic animals.
>>
>>8458822

Is there a way to get your dna tested to see where you fit on the Lactose tolerance "scale"?
>>
>>8458828
no
>>
>>8458827

No, i agree with your reasons why intolerance evolved in the first place.

But i disagree with you saying civilisations viewed it as "savage" and akin to consuming animal urine.

The only reason they would view it negativity is because they knew it would give them diarrhea.
>>
>>8458828
There is no scale however you can test your dna to see if you have gene traits that may imply a reduced production of lactase.
>>
>>8458832
>The only reason they would view it negativity is because they knew it would give them diarrhea.

Perhaps, it was not my intention to say that it was definitely true that civilizations viewed it as savage.
>>
>>8458834
How would i go about testing my dna?
>>
>>8458820
Eating dairy was common in china for some time but still associated with northern people. Once they got BTFO dairy felt out of fashion.
>>
>>8458851
http://www.dynamiccode.se/english

Ouch, seems like the service is only available in Sweden. Try googling "lactose intolerance self test". There must be a lab in your country that can test this shit. The process is similar to the ancestry and hablogroup test.

There are celiac tests aswell.
Thread posts: 18
Thread images: 1

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.