[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

How Do I Learn This

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 19
Thread images: 1

File: Navier_Stokes_Laminar.svg.png (321KB, 900x720px) Image search: [Google]
Navier_Stokes_Laminar.svg.png
321KB, 900x720px
Hey, /sci/. I just got this email, and I was wondering if anyone had any books that could take me from knowing differential equations (and real analysis) to being able to do this.

I really would love an NSF fellowship, and I am working directly under this professor, so I think I could get this.

"BTW, if anyone knows of an undergraduate student capable of solving coupled non-linear second order partial differential equations in heterogeneous domains with discontinuous boundaries, please let me know. We would want to encourage this student to pursue an NSF fellowship."
>>
>>8457951
hmmm.... how much algebraic geometry do you know?
>>
>>8457959
I mean, not too much (i.e. nothing). Is that intimately related to a problem like this?
>>
>>8457959
>>8457970
I have until the summer to apply for this, so I can probably make a great deal of progress in any area I need to (in theory) before I would need to use it.
>>
>>8457970
Most definitely. If I were you I'd get started working my way through the exercises in Hartshorne's book.
>>
>>8457973
Okay, I will probably talk to the professor about it, and then start working on that tomorrow! Thanks!
>>
>>8457951
Does anybody else have any suggestions?
>>
>>8458017
Really any textbooks would be super helpful. This is just so specific that it's hard to know for me.
>>
>>8457951
Is this even something that an undergraduate could do?
>>
>>8457951
>coupled non-linear second order partial differential equations
Stuff of nightmares right there. How does one go from standard pdes to that?
>>
>>8458100
Right? I feel like this is unrealistic even for an NSF fellowship
>>
>>8457951

So this is two pendulums, each in their own box, sitting on a Tempur Pedic mattress and every once and a while, a monkey comes along and shakes one of the boxes.

You'll want to know the position of each pendulum at time T.

Yep! Sounds like a NSF grant!
>>
>>8457951
I would start with Evans PDE book. If you have already taken a standard undergrad PDEs course, skip right to chapter 5.
>>
>>8458152
I think it's in mathematical biology, but working with the professor, I had to sign an NDA. It simultaneously made me super uncomfortable and super important.

>>8458166
Thanks for the resource! I will definitely check that out now! I just feel like the number of specifications make it a pretty bizarre/niche problem.
>>
>>8457951
Is it implicit in any problem like this that it would be solved numerically? I can't imagine there is a pretty closed form for the majority of PDEs, let alone something this complicated.
>>
Advanced calculus of several variable.

Just skip to the Stokes theorem in the back.
>>
>>8459554
Is that really germane to this? Sorry if I am too much of a brainlet to understand why that would be helpful in this context.
>>
>>8459778
Well you need analysis in several variables to do PDEs obviously. But for the integration side of things, you should just skip right to the lebesgue theory.
>>
>>8459801
That's definitely helpful. Shouldn't be too hard to actually learn more Lebesgue theory, since it's legitimately fascinating.
Thread posts: 19
Thread images: 1

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.